tekobo

Tacos

My favorite California farmers market source for lamb raises Dorper Sheep, from South Africa. A "hair" sheep optimized for meat, rather than a "wool" sheep. Apparently the wool production of wool sheep introduces gamey notes to the meat.

This guy ("Farmer Shep") doesn't finish on grain. On the contrary, he's also experimenting with moving his pigs through the family walnut orchard, fast enough to not destroy the orchard. This is in the spirit of Iberico pigs in Spain, allowed to forage a diet of acorns, oak, and nuts.

This is my single best meat source, in either California or New York. One is not restricted to corporate practices.

Taste aside, I am ethically uncomfortable with mass-produced meat.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Syzygies said:

My favorite California farmers market source for lamb raises Dorper Sheep, from South Africa

Interesting. Here I am trying to get hold of some goat for BBQ and stews.  I used to buy older goats which were called "nanny" goat but they have now been re-branded as "ex-dairy" goat.  Either way I hope to have some tasty meat, including ribs, to cook up soon.  

• Like 4

My favorite California farmers market source for lamb raises Dorper Sheep, from South Africa. A "hair" sheep optimized for meat, rather than a "wool" sheep. Apparently the wool production of wool sheep introduces gamey notes to the meat.
This guy ("Farmer Shep") doesn't finish on grain. On the contrary, he's also experimenting with moving his pigs through the family walnut orchard, fast enough to not destroy the orchard. This is in the spirit of Iberico pigs in Spain, allowed to forage a diet of acorns, oak, and nuts.
This is my single best meat source, in either California or New York. One is not restricted to corporate practices.
Taste aside, I am ethically uncomfortable with mass-produced meat.

Syz this meat supplier sounds perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday's tacos.  "Hand" of pork and a few purple sweet poatoes, waiting to go into the KK first thing  in the morning.  

IMG_9510.thumb.jpeg.73914ddb1896031c6bb8a7be6118e643.jpeg

Covered in salt.

IMG_9511.thumb.jpeg.5f80a25a86dd25067439a99689303c27.jpeg

In the KK after about six hours.  

IMG_9524.thumb.jpeg.4b6ac62856ab16f07335aa70fd40dc53.jpeg

Broken out and shredded 

IMG_9526.thumb.jpeg.8e9c69c11b5647570623f78540a2d2bd.jpeg

Taco with purple potato mash at its base and pork, sauce and coriander layered on top.  Yummy!

IMG_9528.thumb.jpeg.9d0198dfc330af9aebb883b1b0e7c080.jpeg

• Like 5