PrimoSand

new cooker and roast duck

Hi Folks,

I've just received and un-crated my first ever KK cooker and first ever ceramic cooker for that matter. It's gorgeous ! :smt026 I can't wait to start learning, cooking and eating. One of the items I'm hoping to master is roast duck. :smt051

Does anyone out there know duck. All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also I've ordered two bags of Wicked Good Lump (weekend warrior) from Ken at charcoalstore.com, the 22lb bags cost $15.95 ea. and shipping out to southern Cal. was another $32.00 for a total of $63.40 for two 22lb bags. :shock: This will come to me UPS ground in one box (no pallet). I was told by another group that had (only 11lbs bags) of the "competition blend" that lump charcoal needed to be shipped on a pallet or it will arrive as dust. This made shipping cost impractical. Ken at "the charcoal Store said no you don't need to ship it on a pallet. Can anyone shed some light on this discrepancy and can anyone tell me of a closer/cheaper source of "very good" or better lump closer to Los Angeles?

Picture001.jpg

Picture013.jpg

thanks for the help

Jeff

Charcoal

@PrimoSand Welcome to the mad world of KK land. :)

I would think you should be able to buy lump in LA like at Walmart or some place like that. I'm sure someone will give you some good info here soon. Now if you ever happen to be up around Paso Robles, CA then stop in and I'll sell you some.

Internet explorer and XP Media Center.

I had to send a small post and then go in and edit it. At that point I added more text and pictures to my first post.

Are you referring to the fact you had to post two test post before you could post the pics? There is a spam trap installed that only allows you to post text messages until you have made two posts and been a forum member for 2 days before allowing to post a URL (and pics are URL links). Though there is no size limits on the text posts. If you think that is not it, PM me with more info.

-=Jasen=-

Great looking tiles...good choice.

I've never cooked a duck, but am sure some around here have and will be giving you some hints.

You eat your duck uncooked, Curly? Wow...

No, I don't eat it raw! I don't think I've ever had any duck though, cooked either! Is it good? Let's see some pics. :shock:

duck cooks well on a rottiserie, med/high heat is good, you want the fat to get rendered out and get the skin nice and crispy

OR

buy some nice duck breasts marinate or just s&p

grill them on high heat and cook them like you would a steak

I like mine medium/med.rare

Hi Primo, Welcome to the KK World.

Nice color. Let me tell you, you are going to love the KK. As for sourcing lump, I don't know if you have firewood suppliers there or not. I was at a loss to find lump locally, then found that one of the local wood suppliers carries mesquite lump from Mexico. It's in pretty much a generic sack, paper lined with plastic, and just sez lump mesquite charcoal from Mexico, no brand. But it's $15 for a 40 lb. bag, and I've now done a 24 1/2 hour cook with one load of it. Of course I live in the snowy mtns. & people buy a lot of firewood. Not sure if you have any places like that where you live. Check the yellow pages and start making some phone calls. Also check places like Wild Oats whole food stores & equivalent. I guarantee you can find lump WAY cheaper than ordering from Wicked Good.

As for roasting duck, I would suggest starting out with the same time & temps you would use in a regular oven. You'll find that you can control the temp of your KK just as closely as you can a home oven with very little problem. Peruse the many informative posts in the forum from all the knowledgeable folks for the details of cooking on the KK.

Woodie B.

A lot of ducks sold here are "peking ducks" i.e. heavy on the fat and emphasis on the skin; there is a breed called muscovy ducks. Do they sell muscovy ducks in the states? :?

This breed has a lot more meat, you can get it at the monthly Organic Market - Darling Harbour here in Sydney! :D

why-a-duck

why a not a fence, or a horse or a chicken. sorry couldn't resist the marx brothers inference! But sreious a duck sounds fantastic! how about a rotis.? lots of drippings from a white = peking duck, but very juicy. The muscovy is a good choice for a leaner duck, and a larger breast size too

Re: why-a-duck

why a not a fence' date=' or a horse or a chicken. sorry couldn't resist the marx brothers inference! But sreious a duck sounds fantastic! how about a rotis.? lots of drippings from a white = peking duck, but very juicy. The muscovy is a good choice for a leaner duck, and a larger breast size too[/quote']

Hilarious :D

The duck on the rotis will definitely be on in about a month time (I don't know of any other place that has the organic muscovy) :? .

So they do sell them in the states? I have this killer twice cooked duck recipe so will try it on the rotisserie and let you know :)