PARESH65

Please help a newbie!!

Hello every one,

my name is Paresh. I am brand new to ceramic cookers. I've been a gas grill junkie all my life and have a lot to learn about hardwood coal and ceramic cooking. I just recieved my OTB supreme and was going to fire it up this weekend. I would greatly appertiate any advise on the choice of coal, breaking in procedures, how to regulate tempreature and last but not least, a beginners reciepe and method for a first time cook :P Look forward to your responces. Thank you so much!!

I agree - pork butt!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your cooker!!

I gotta agree with leejp on the pork butt for a first cook. It is very easy and very forgiving. There are some good rub recipes in the recipe section or you can just buy an off the shelf one. You should cook between 225 and 240 for best results (most people cook 225, but I tend to cook closer to 240). Your probably looking at 12-16 hours depending on which temp you pick and size of the boston butt. I pull mine off when the internal temps reaches 190. While I do not have my OBT yet, I am familiar with ceramic cookers and can suggest these settings. I would just crack the low airflow adjustment knob on the lower door about the thickness of a quarter. Then crack the upper damper ever so slightly (when the cooker is going you can crack till you just start to feel heat or see smoke come out). These setting might not be perfect, but give it a good long while to heat up (maybe 1 hr since this is your first time) and wait 30 minutes between adjustments. I am also a big fan of the BBQ Guru (only difference in settings from what I just mentioned using a Guru is keep the lower draft completely closed).

As far as break in, a couple of low temps cooks like this butt should do the trick. Just keep things low for 2 or 3 cooks the be on the safe side.

For charcoal, royal oak is a good choice that is wide spread available at most Walmart's. Cowboy I have seen at Lowe's and Publix groceries in my area. I stay away from Kingford. I forgot to mention this is all natural lump charcoal I am suggesting here (no brickets). Not sure of your lighting method, but only start a small amount to doing a low temp cook (but fill the basket up). By that I mean if you are using the gas attachment, only turn it on for about two minutes. Chimney starter, then just put a few pieces in it and dump the lite charcoal in the basket on top of the rest to start. Anyway, if you start too much the you risk too big a fire and overshoot the temp. Be patient and let the temp slowly rise to your desired setting. If you are not familiar with lump, it is ready to cook after starting; unlike brickets which need to turn all grey first. You can also shut your grill down airtight when finished and re-use the left over charcoal for the next cook. I usually only use two or three small pieces of smoke wood in my cook. I try to space them in the charcoal so they do not all burn at the same time.

Anyway, hope this helps out. Any more specific questions, feel free to ask away!

-=Jasen=-

Welcome Paresh,

For low temps I keep the lower draft door "shut" and the top damper just cracked (not even 1/4 turn open). Enough air gets in to stay around 225. When I started out, I had trouble keeping the temp down, I was using the bottom door to adjust, when I started closing it completely and adjusting the top - it works like a charm. You will probably need to let more air in for the light an start up - close things down before you get to the target. (BTW - I use guru for the long cooks!)

When I go to 350ish I keep the door pushed in and open the dial fully. Much above that and I need to pull the door out about an inch or so.

Good luck

I thank you both for your suggestions. Leejp, I was thinking of a beef brisket, any thoughts. Jasen thanks for the lighting tips. How much coal is needed for a 16hr cook. Also, some people use a backing stone on the lower grill and a drip pan to catch the juices, some mention to put an 1" of water in the drip pan while others do not use a stone or a drip pan. Any suggestions on that topic.

I thank you both for your suggestions. Leejp' date=' I was thinking of a beef brisket, any thoughts. Jasen thanks for the lighting tips. How much coal is needed for a 16hr cook. Also, some people use a backing stone on the lower grill and a drip pan to catch the juices, some mention to put an 1" of water in the drip pan while others do not use a stone or a drip pan. Any suggestions on that topic.[/quote']

I just bought a brisket today at Sams club, but I wouldn't advise it for a first cook. Pork butt is good.

BBQ Guru

Thanks for th tip Fetzervalve. Which model guru should i get? I think i saw 3 options on the web site. Also will i need special adapters?

The Guru port is designed to hold snugly the Guru inducer tube There is both a short and long version. My customers have used both. I'd go with the short one as it keeps the fan close to the body. Have fun.. Making me hungry for BBQ, I have not had any for almost 2 weeks as I was in the land of Thai.

:wink::wink:

I agree with the pork butt for the first cook. Brisket is not as forgiving as butts. You can learn to adjust you temps better doing to butts. I cook my pork butts at 235 to 250 at it still about 1 1/2 hrs /lb. I use a Guru with 10 cfm fan for long over nights cooks, works great. You will love the food and your KK. It is not a long learning curve. You can get a lot of good advice on the forum. Welcome to the group with the Greatest cooker. :D:D

I don't use a water in the pan. I use a kiln shelf for a heat defector and a old baking pan to catch the dripping on the lower grill. I fill the basket with lump.

What you don't use during the cook you can use the next time. :)

Thanks for th tip Fetzervalve. Which model guru should i get? I think i saw 3 options on the web site. Also will i need special adapters?

If you got the jack to spend on it, the ProCom is one hell of a nice option (I love mine - it is the lazy way)! But the middle version (has a pit probe and meat probe) will do you just fine! You can buy a maverick for remote monitoring with the middle version Guru.

-=Jasen=-

I thank you both for your suggestions. Leejp' date=' I was thinking of a beef brisket, any thoughts. Jasen thanks for the lighting tips. How much coal is needed for a 16hr cook. Also, some people use a backing stone on the lower grill and a drip pan to catch the juices, some mention to put an 1" of water in the drip pan while others do not use a stone or a drip pan. Any suggestions on that topic.[/quote']

If you are bound on the beef brisket, don't be discouraged to try it. They are not that hard with ceramic grills (but still not as forgiving if you let the temp run away). I cook my brisket at 240 till it hits 185, then slice.

The deflector is probably a good idea, but if you put the fat cap down on meats you can run without one - no problems. Just a matter of opinion. The water pan is pretty useless on a ceramic grill. The whole purpose (some folks believe otherwise - always debate) of water pan (or pan of sand) is to hold thermal mass which is not needed in a ceramic grill. Water turns to steam at 212; it is not like steam is really going to add the kind of moisture you need in meat. Fat and collagen add moisture. Now if you want to steam cook some shrimp or crab legs in your grill, go ahead - hehe.

No reason why not to always fill up your charcoal basket. As I said before; what you do not use this time will be there for the next time. One basket full should easily last you 20 or more hours - just depends on temps of the grill and outside temps.

-=Jasen=-

Thanks for all of your responses. At 7pm this evening, Chicago time, I filled the basket with "Wicked good charcoal". Got a small center portion going red hot , closed the lid, opened the top damper 1/4 turn and bottom wheel about 1/8" open. 1/2hr later temp was at about 125 deg and coal was barely red :x Lit the coal again, this time in 2 different places, got it twice as red as last time. By now it's 8 pm. temp got to 250 deg, adjusted the dampers as before went back down 1/2 hr later to find KK at 125 deg with coals completely out. :cry: Started 2/3 of the coal red, closed the KK, this time top damp at 1/2 turn and bottom swirl at 1/4" by the advice of my 11 and 12 year old boys :roll: It is now 9:30 pm and the KK is at 225 deg and sooo hoping that it's holding. By the way don't be 2 concerned the KK is empty, thought I would get the temp thing right before I ruin a fine piece of meat :wink: How much of the 10lb bag I dumped in the KK should be glowing red before I shut the lid :?:

Thanks for all of your responses. At 7pm this evening' date=' Chicago time, I filled the basket with "Wicked good charcoal". Got a small center portion going red hot , closed the lid, opened the top damper 1/4 turn and bottom wheel about 1/8" open. 1/2hr later temp was at about 125 deg and coal was barely red :x Lit the coal again, this time in 2 different places, got it twice as red as last time. By now it's 8 pm. temp got to 250 deg, adjusted the dampers as before went back down 1/2 hr later to find KK at 125 deg with coals completely out. :cry: Started 2/3 of the coal red, closed the KK, this time top damp at 1/2 turn and bottom swirl at 1/4" by the advice of my 11 and 12 year old boys :roll: It is now 9:30 pm and the KK is at 225 deg and sooo hoping that it's holding. By the way don't be 2 concerned the KK is empty, thought I would get the temp thing right before I ruin a fine piece of meat :wink: How much of the 10lb bag I dumped in the KK should be glowing red before I shut the lid :?:[/quote']

This is why I did not have a hard and fast setting for the top damper in my post. I mentioned cracking it open till you felt heat coming out or saw smoke. Not ever grill is identical; could be more adhesive on the back of the gasket - who knows. The bottom low airflow adjust is cnc cut, so it is exact. I am just wondering if you are not getting enough airflow through the stack? Check it and make sure you have smoke/heat coming out. You'll get the hang of things soon enough. BTW, good idea to test it without food - absolutely nothing wrong with that!

I usually use gas to start a grill, but never had the need to start more than a few pieces for a low and slow cook. Somewhere your airflow is stopped.

-=Jasen=-

Well folks, this morning the temp was holding steady at 225 deg :D Temp started to go down about 8 am. Opened the KK and most of the 10lbs of coal was untouched. Started it back up, stabilized the temp and put the meat on about 9 am. The coal went out on me 2 times before the meat was ready. Needles to say things got a bit dry as it took 10 hrs to get the 3lbs rump to 150 deg. Did not want to post any picks yet :oops: Most of the coal is still not burned. Did I use too much? There were a lot of big pieces so I don't think it was packed to tight. I am going to try some baby back ribs tomorrow, any suggestions on my mistakes and temps and times for the ribs would be enormously appreciated!!

YAY! Well done!

Good for you, Paresh! 10 hours at a low and slow isn't too surprising. Ok, maybe a little long for 3 lbs. More experienced rumps than I will have to weigh in. But did it taste good? :)

What was the opinion of the two young supervisor/experts with whom you consult? hehehe. Put a lot of ketchup on it, and they'll like it fine, huh?

Maybe using the old apple juice in the crock pot trick will revive your rump, if it's offensively dry. Pull it like bbq, and put it with some apple juice in the crock pot, on low, to reheat. I've heard (read?) that is good. Never tried it, myself.

Or shred it for tacos. :)

P.S. My first low and slow, the fire went out, too. Middle of the night. Then I overcompensated, and it got too hot! Butt tasted good, but it was not a happy experience for me. Easier after that. I stopped trying to over think stuff. Still learning the "zen," though. No way am I proficient at low and slow.

Paresh,

Don't feel bad, my first fire went out also :oops: (middle of the night) I think it's a law of nature. :lol: BTW don't put the small batch ring in the kooker (the stainless ring) that was one of my mistakes.

I have read, and tried once, a process where you sort the lump and place it in the basket in a systematic way. Take the largest pieces and place them first, then fill in with the medium sizes and finish with the small. Filling in all the gaps as you go (as well as possible) this helps each piece light it's neighbor before it goes out. Then light the lump in about 3 places, I typically use a MAPP gas torch to light for, low and slow, (from the top).

Sounds like you are well on your way.