Sanny

My turn for ribs!

Re: My turn for ribs!

Looking good! What time is supper?
I'll leave the light on for ya, Deej. :)

Ok, a couple strong points, and a couple of weak ones.

Strong? Temp maintained 200-250 the entire cook. YAY!! That's progress!

Weak? I forgot to add the blinkin SALT to JJ's Rub recipe. Hrumph. So, I gave them a sprinkle of salt when they went into the "live here until I take you in to work tomorrow" container. Hope that takes care of that.

Nuther weak point is the narrower rib parts cooked way faster than the fat sections. So, of course, they are less moist. Shoulda considered that more carefully, and taken them off earlier. But, I didn't.

I guess I need a sauce recipe to address future "lack of moisture" situations.

But, here are the pics of the back ribs. Spares are still on the grill, since they went in a bit later.

DSCF0974.jpg

DSCF0973.jpg

Re: Nirvana

:) Note to self - BUY SPARES FIRST NEXT TIME!!

just making a statement like that lets me know you are on the "true path" Sanny! now you need to start trimming your ribs and letting those tips go an hour or so longer, realllllll slow! you'll thank me later :wink:

ok, first off, YOU GAVE AWAY 3 RACKS????? you need to work HERE!

second, the pics you gave were of untrimmed spares. if you want to trim them up "st. louis style", you need to find where the rib bones terminate at the top and separate that upper portion of the slab. that upper portion is all "rib tip". you want to give them more time because 1) they don't really have bones, just cartilage, and so they cook slower, and 2) they have lots of fat, and that needs time to render and turn all juicy.

trimming them up is pretty easy, and you get a nice looking, rectangular slab of ribs that cook more evenly and cut into nice bones. there's gotta be a photo tutorial of how to "st. louis" your spares somewhere on the WWW...

oh, just noticed that you made this observation in your previous post...

Nuther weak point is the narrower rib parts cooked way faster than the fat sections. So' date=' of course, they are less moist. Shoulda considered that more carefully, and taken them off earlier. But, I didn't[/quote']

the "fat sections" you are refering to are the tips. separate them, and you can take the "rib section" off sooner, and let the "fat section" (tips) cook longer and turn into the miracle that is RIB TIPS!!! cut those up and smother in the rasp/chip sauce!!! oh man!

ok' date=' first off, YOU GAVE AWAY 3 RACKS????? you need to work HERE!![/quote']:) Yup, I kept one rack, and the trimmed parts (the floppy parts without bones), but the rest I gave to the mail room guys. They gave me kisses on the cheek! :smt058

Our office (Legal Affairs at the state's Dept of Envt Protection) has them running all over. I'm sure they're underappreciated by so many, but they sure help us. :smt045 I like bringing them baked goods now and then. Besides, what was one person gonna do with 4 racks of ribs all by herself? Nuthin to do but share.

Here they are, about half hour into the cook.

DSCF0972.jpg

More pics to follow later, I hope.

:smt028

Where did you get the rib rack, I got a weber one but it definitely looks smaller.

I'll make pictures of ozzie ribs they look smaller to (maybe our butchers cut them differently?). They really look good though, the guys/girls in your office are very lucky!

Where did you get the rib rack' date=' I got a weber one but it definitely looks smaller.[/quote']It's a Steve Raichlen (sp) rack. I got mine at a store called Bed Bath and Beyond (I call it Bed Bath and Cash Register, cause it's easy to spend a fortune there). Price on line was less than in store, so I took the on line price and waved it in front of the cashier, and she accepted it. :) Might have been $20 US. I think it's also on Amazon. Nice size. Holds 4 racks, and fits on my ceramic (which is slightly smaller than the KK).

Could be Ozzie butchers trim the ribs as many say I should have. But hey, live and learn. :)

Sanny, a small suggestion if you're doing babybacks. I don't do them as long as spares.

I do babybacks quite often, using the 2/2 method. Two hours in racks with smoke @ 300-350 and 2 hours wrapped in foil (que outraged purists who NEVER use foil). Follow with a 30 minute rest in a cooler. They're so moist you have to hold them over your plate.

I like both spares and babybacks but babybacks tend to have less fat on them so they dry out if you do them bare on the rack the whole time.

I do babybacks quite often, using the 2/2 method. Two hours in racks with smoke @ 300-350 and 2 hours wrapped in foil (que outraged purists who NEVER use foil). Follow with a 30 minute rest in a cooler. They're so moist you have to hold them over your plate.

Man, and to think I just helped you register for the forum! I can't believe I let a tin foiler in here - argh! Back, back I tell you! Hehe.

I do wrap them when they are finished and place in a cooler if I need them for later.

-=Jasen=-

(que outraged purists who NEVER use foil)

not that i'm particularly outraged; steam them ribs if you like! many folks sware by the ol' "texas crutch".

'course, a REAL purist like me just doesn't bother with them weenie ol' babybacks anyhow :wink: its hard for me to even bother anymore with the spares. them tips are sooooo good! i give my family the ribs and eat the tips!

True Confessions

Well, Porky, I do have a confession...

I shared the ribs, but kept all the boneless flappy bits for myself. Had them on the cooker low and slow until they were tender and smokey, and then tucked them aside to fix with rice and beans.

Just saving the rest of them from the trimmings, you understand. I mean, surely they PREFER ribs, right? Those little leftover, unwanted pieces for me.... Like gramma always kept that piece of roast from by the bone, so everyone else could have the pretty pieces. She didn't TELL that the part she kept was the most tender and delicious...

[its hard for me to even bother anymore with the spares. them tips are sooooo good! i give my family the ribs and eat the tips!

There are a few stores in Houston where you can buy just the tips. They usually call them riblets or rib trimmings. They're cheap too. Yumm

I have to limit myself with those, as I'm trying to keep my cholesterol down to a reasonable number. :D

Rib boneless pieces

I chopped up some of the smokey pieces of boneless rib parts, and made black beans and rice last night. Very tasty. :) Garlic, can of black beans, medium grain rice, squirt of tomato paste, cumin, ancho chile, salt, olive oil. Yummy.