tlinder

BBQ Guru with KK

I was thinking of ordering a BBQ guru for my K. I'm especially interested in the Ramp-feature.

Now I have a question to all BBQ guru owners: Is the Ramp-feature working properly with the KK? I'm worried that the KK is so well insulated, so the temp can't drop fast enough and the meat overcooks.

Thank you for your answers!

Tobias

Re: BBQ Guru with KK

I was thinking of ordering a BBQ guru for my K. I'm especially interested in the Ramp-feature.

Now I have a question to all BBQ guru owners: Is the Ramp-feature working properly with the KK? I'm worried that the KK is so well insulated, so the temp can't drop fast enough and the meat overcooks.

Tobias

Only have a Mexi-K (no KK yet but soon :lol: ). The ramp feature works well with the Mexi-K, which holds the heat pretty well probably not quite as well as the KK (damn portland pumice).

The few times I've done it, I cheated and opened the lid a couple of times with the bottom damper shut to let it cool down quicker.

This is an interesting question tlinder. I am also considering a guru vs. a stoker, and the ramp mode is one thing that is making me give the guru a serious look. Wireless (on the procomm) is the other.

The stoker has flash upgradeable firmware which allows the user to update the software as improvements are made (guru is charging $89 for an update on their competitor models), and networking, which is as good as wireless around the house, and even better if you have to work in an office.

Considering the cost difference of the two units, I would be interested to hear from others about how well the ramp mode works. I would also be curious to hear if anyone has used it to facilitate leaving que on the grill (in lieu of a cooler) for the resting period, rather than in a cooler?

This is an interesting question tlinder. I am also considering a guru vs. a stoker, and the ramp mode is one thing that is making me give the guru a serious look. Wireless (on the procomm) is the other.

The stoker has flash upgradeable firmware which allows the user to update the software as improvements are made (guru is charging $89 for an update on their competitor models), and networking, which is as good as wireless around the house, and even better if you have to work in an office.

Considering the cost difference of the two units, I would be interested to hear from others about how well the ramp mode works. I would also be curious to hear if anyone has used it to facilitate leaving que on the grill (in lieu of a cooler) for the resting period, rather than in a cooler?

I ask myself exactly the same questions. If the ramp-thing really works well with the KK, this is the killer feature for buying the guru instead of the Stoker.

It should work fine with the KK as the ramp drops very slowly, so there should not be any issues.

While I am a big advocate of the Guru, I can honestly say I rarely use the ramp feature. I just don't see it as a feature I covet. I would rather cook at a set temp till the meat gets ready, then have the Guru shut the grill down automatically (does the Stoker do that?? just curious). This way, the food it not in a constant heat source - even at a low temp - it will still dry out food.

-=Jasen=-

Is this a new feature for the Guru to shut down when the meat hits the target?

My bad, it is time out -shut down. I forgot the it was the timer I set to shut it down (too long since I cooked with that feature). Though it should be an option - too bad nobody at Guru is listening (even on their own forum). Once you get used to the approximate time certain cuts take on the grill, you can just set the timer mode to shut down in that time range. The thermal holding ability of ceramics should keep it nice and warm for several more hours. Some may prefer the ramp mode, but I would rather the charcoal die soon after the meat has reached it's target temp.

Damn you Whizzy, I almost slipped one by you!! :roll:

-=Jasen=-

My 2 AU$ cents:

Have very rarely used the ramp feature with my Smokey Weber but do love the fact I can leave the BBQ unattended for long slow cooks.

Would definitely recommend getting a guru (or stoker? especially if you have multiple BBQ's) to go with a KK although others (Porkchop?) will likely disagree since the KK can apparently hold temps on it's own.

Thank you for all your replies. I just ordered one and it should be with me in a few days. I'm really looking forward to it because my KK is on the balcony of the other floor behind several doors, so it's quiet a hassle to check the temp. Also the last night I had a 20 pounds beef piece on the grill for the whole night I almost could not sleep because I was so worried about temp changes.

How did your ordering with the guru people go?

I've been asking them for the last week for a quote for the inducer tube (ship to Australia) but so far no reply...

The guru is great and really keeps the temps at the correct level; which one did you get?

How did your ordering with the guru people go?

I've been asking them for the last week for a quote for the inducer tube (ship to Australia) but so far no reply...

The guru is great and really keeps the temps at the correct level; which one did you get?

Paul, you might do better to have a machine shop make you an inducer tube in AU. They can probably find some SS bar or tube stock to make it from. If you need a dimension for the ID I can get that for you as I have a Guru.

Um, I'm fairly a-technical (I know IT but have little knowledge regarding "building" gizmos). I understand that the guru tube fits very snugly (since Dennis has built it for the guru size) so wanted to just order that. Otherwise I have to wait for my KK to arrive and measure the guru port and get a tube made to fir my guru...sounds a bit complicated to me???

Hmm now that I'm thinking about it how come the KK needs an inducer tube to fit the guru? (i.e. how come the diameter of the port doesn't just accomodate the guru fan????); <== silly question???

sure definitely easier to order it from BBQ Guru.

I'll give my un-informed answer on why I think the port is not the size for the Guru. I think Dennis was trying to make the port insert flush with the body of the KK for those who may never buy a Guru. But the Guru needs to be away from the body at least a little to fit the controller on the fan properly and eliminate any heat exposure.

So he could've put the tube in the body sticking out, but probably would get a bunch of complaints from non-Guru users.

I reckon you're right since the WSM port is "sticking out" as well.

Hmm, might use the mail address on the guru site to shotgun fred himself see if that gets a response...(really want to use my guru with my KK).

Thanks for you suggestions though, much appreciated and I will ask one of my more technical mates to suggest a shop that could build it?

BTW I just received a guru email so I'm in contact and will hopefully order the inducer this weekend (I'll have all my toys before the KK arrives!!!!)

Update: I initially used the info@guru address (no reply) and subsequently the sales@guru address they answered promptly/efficiently, anyway the inducer is now ordered!

Help! Could please someone tell me, which one of all this different adapters (see picture) I need to connect it to the KK.

The guy who sold me the bbq guru wants to charge me $ 15.- extra for the bulkhead style inducer but I'm not sure, if this is the right thing.

bbqguru.jpg

Guru inducer tube

The only thing I had to buy was the inducer tube. It fits inside the tube made in the KK. I cleaned to plug, had to do a little filing on the plate outside to get the inducer tube to slide through the opening. Used silicone to hole it in place.

The Naked Whiz has instructions on page 9 and 10 of his review of his KK. :)

Re: Guru inducer tube

The only thing I had to buy was the inducer tube. It fits inside the tube made in the KK. I cleaned to plug, had to do a little filing on the plate outside to get the inducer tube to slide through the opening. Used silicone to hole it in place.

Thank you, this instructions I have seen. But there is nothing called "inducer tube" in the online shop. Do you think the "inducer tube" is the "standard offset mount" or the "bulkhead style inducer" or something, that is not on the list?

Re: Guru inducer tube

Thank you, this instructions I have seen. But there is nothing called "inducer tube" in the online shop. Do you think the "inducer tube" is the "standard offset mount" or the "bulkhead style inducer" or something, that is not on the list?

They all have inducer tubes on them. The inducer tube is simply the tube section of the mount in which the Guru fan inserts.

There are people on the forum who have gotten the bulkhead adapter (but is is pretty long). Others have called and ordered a short (2 1/2 - 3 Inch) plain inducer tube (it is not on the web site in the ordering section). According to the web site, the bulkhead adapter is $30 so I imagine the short plain tube would be much cheaper. The plain tube can be held in place using high temp silicone.

-=Jasen=-