jeffshoaf

Sous-vide driven steam table?

I woke up early this morning with an inspiration; not sure where the idea came from but has anyone here tried rigging up a steam table and used a sous vide stick to heat the water instead of Sterno? I was thinking taking up a half or quarter pan slot, cover with aluminum foil (maybe with styrofoam backing) with a hole in it for the sous vide stick.

A quick google didn't find anything on the interwebs; surely I didn't have an original idea!

Long ago I worked in a diner, the steam table there had 5 or 6 trays set above the level of water as the gas unit kept the temp required for the food. I don't think at the time there was a thermostat for water temp but a regulator valve for height in flame for temp. At the end night we drained the water from the SSteel steam table and cleaned up. Something on a smaller scale for food ready to serve is always a great thing. A simpified easier method through innovation is the way forward, just don' forget to slap a tag on it if it becomes genious.