David Chang

Paris

A long way from Hong Kong, can't imagine sitting in a chair that long. Nice pics and the market seems endless. Tell me what's the main difference between this market and the one's your used to frequenting in Hong Kong as far as quality and experience. Whom does it better?

6 hours ago, Tyrus said:

A long way from Hong Kong, can't imagine sitting in a chair that long. Nice pics and the market seems endless. Tell me what's the main difference between this market and the one's your used to frequenting in Hong Kong as far as quality and experience. Whom does it better?

it’s a 13 hour flight but im still grouchy and jetlagged regardless of which class i fly. 

the markets in paris are more or less like the urban farmers markets back in the US. they just open few times a week, and in certain areas. but the produce is amazing. something in the soil in france..

the biggest different between a market in the west and markets in hk is we slaughter live fish and poultry to order. pork, beef, and eggs are displayed out in the open, with no refrigeration. all this freaked me out at first, but im no longer bothered by it. but the hk markets exist in every neighborhood, and open everyday, for long hours. the ones in europe are usually concentrated in one main place, and they close early.

• Like 2

back in paris on the last leg of my european winter holiday (vienna, istanbul, rome, firenze) and eating one of my last meals, a giant crab claw in our favorite raw bar in st honoré, paris.

but i’m ready to go home because most of the food and coffee we had sucked, and i can’t wait to make home cooked meals..

it was the first time we ate chinese food outside of hk and we never eat chinese food in europe. THATS how desperate things got… 😅

IMG_7235.jpeg

IMG_7234.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My only experience with eating Chinese food in Europe was in Germany back in the early 90s. Gawd, it was awful - seriously bland. Far worse than anything I've ever had here in the States, even at the cheapo all-u-can-eat buffets! The only reason that we tried it was that they had a beer sign in the window for a local beer that we wanted to try. At least the beer was tasty! 

3 hours ago, tony b said:

My only experience with eating Chinese food in Europe was in Germany back in the early 90s. Gawd, it was awful - seriously bland. Far worse than anything I've ever had here in the States, even at the cheapo all-u-can-eat buffets! The only reason that we tried it was that they had a beer sign in the window for a local beer that we wanted to try. At least the beer was tasty! 

yeah we ate chinese and korean in vienna. they were not great but surprisingly not bad. we just couldn’t stomach any more wiener schnitzel, which is apparently served in every freaking restaurant in austria..

• Haha 3