BalconySmoken

I need to move a 23 ultimate up stairs - advice?

A story for another time, I got a job from the guy i didn't sell my KK to (I decided not to sell and try my luck again using it in the condo I moved into ).
Since then, he has bought a KK from somebody else, and has asked me advice on how to move it up a set of staircases.
I looked at this years ago when I bought mine, back then I think the advice was to strap a couple of 4x2 to each side to aid with gripping and then they can carry it up. I did a quick search on here and people are now talking about straps under each leg.

So, does this sound like a reasonable plan: take the lid off, and then get a strap under each leg. then put a man on each strap to split the load - I think that drops it down to about 70kg each so the professionals should have no dramas doing this. I think the removalists normally have these sort of straps for moving heavy akward stuff. He needs to move it on Friday this week. I will try to get some video or photos with the suggested move approach - I couldn't find anything but I think it may be helpful for future
Any tips will be much appreciated!

I had to move my 23" up a flight of 8 steps from the garage to the deck in my house. I built a ramp from 5/8" thick plywood. I took the lid off to reduce the weight. It still took 4 of us to roll it up the ramp - 2 at the top of the stairs with straps pulling and 2 of us below to push. It was a challenge, but we did it. Hope to never have to do it again!Ā 

Edited by tony b

thanks for the advice guys; I'll suggest the mechanical stair climber or straps and leave it to the guys doing the lifting here.Ā 

I will get some photos or video and report here how it was done. OH&S doesn't really exist here for the movers so I am sure however they do it will be similar to how we would do it ourselves with the wives shaking their heads at us

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BalconySmoken said:

thanks for the advice guys; I'll suggest the mechanical stair climber or straps and leave it to the guys doing the lifting here.Ā 

I will get some photos or video and report here how it was done. OH&S doesn't really exist here for the movers so I am sure however they do it will be similar to how we would do it ourselves with the wives shaking their heads at us

Hopefully, insurance for movers does exist so you'll get some help if they drop and damage your KK!

it is moved and the movers ignored all common sense. they let us take the lid off at least, then these little guys from India just picked it up and carried it up the stairs - 5 of them managed. plenty of cursing but they managed and nobody got hurt and the KK survived. Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3