Re: BillyBar

I know it's been mentioned before' date=' but this seems to be a good place to consolidate product references. I just got my BillyBar on Saturday based on some recommendations and it looks like it'll work great and last a lifetime.

I'm waiting for them to build me a version for the 3/8" grills.

They seem to be very accomodating, will advise when received....

Actually Dennis was supposed to be making these (or something very similar actually)!!! Whatever happened with that, as I had asked for one! hehe

-=Jasen=-

Dennis does have a grill scraper, like most - it only cleans the top side. The Billybar does pretty well on the underside of the bars also it's just a little slow as you have to clean each bar individually. I have both, the KK scraper is great for a quickie, the BBar for a more complete cleaning.

I contacted BB a while back and they will grind one for 3/8" or even put into production if there is some demand.

I contacted BB a while back and they will grind one for 3/8" or even put into production if there is some demand.

Contact BB now?

I'm getting one 3/8" and and one 1/4" cleaner and Tom said he made 2 of the 3/8" versions (one for me and one for???)

Same here! I got the billybars, but can't trial the 3/8 until I get my new shiny grills...

I was really impressed with the trust and service of what I feel is a start-up company (could be wrong?).

AND

They wrapped it in some old newspapers (one of them was a BBQ mag! fun reading!

I noticed that my newspapers all had BBQ ads in them, I wonder if they cherry-pick the packing material :)

Definitely KK-style customer service. I heard they were grinding out a 1/4" version to make the 3/8" version and thought I could do that myself, but the 3/8" is actually much nicer than what I would have ended up with. I'll have to nab some shots sometime.

3/8" Billybar pics

I finally managed to get some pictures of the 3/8" Billybar in "action" on 1/4" and 3/8" drill bits as a substitute for not having a KK.

logolw4.jpg

The typical Billybar handles the 1/4" and smaller grills very nicely, a couple of strokes on each bar at different angles cleans them very well. The problem is that Dennis is the King of Overengineering and builds his grills with manly-looking 3/8" stainless steel that will last forever even when grilling seafood or extinct megafauna. The Billybar head is just a little too small to support this larger gauge metal and it leaves a gap that makes cleaning much more cumbersome. The industrious guys at Billybar are very responsive to this newfound problem and have been willing to custom make some 3/8" Billybars for just the purpose.

billybarey0.jpg

Initially they had made mention of grinding out a 3/8" Billybar and my first thought was that I have an angle grinder and could do it myself but I figured it couldn't hurt to have them do it (so I don't end up losing a finger or something ;)). What I got a few days later in the mail was a pleasant surprise compared to the ground down 1/4" version I was expecting, the tip was polished and professional - as if it was an official product and not a prototype.

tipsvc0.jpg

When I tested it out on the appropriate diameter metal cylinder it seems like it should work just as well as the 1/4" did on the smaller steel. The image below shows the 1/4" version (top) and 3/8" version (bottom) on 1/4" (left) and 3/8" (right) drill bits to show the coverage.

billybarinusejs5.jpg

You'll note that the only combination that doesn't work well is the 1/4" Billybar on the 3/8" steel. However, given the gap between the tines of the 3/8" Billybar on the 1/4" steel I think I'll keep both even though I would feel fine just ordering the 3/8" version. This way if I cook on lesser grills I only provide half as much wear on each Billybar and they should last twice as long - my descendants will probably be ordering replacements in 2694 if I'm careful. :)

I wish I could say I'd buy from them again, but I just don't see these things ever needing to be replaced. I guess they make good stocking stuffers for friends and family! Let me know if you've got any questions or want more detailed pictures.

Do you have to pre-heat or do you now clean at the end?

Good question, I generally clean after I finish eating (with the Weber and Kingsford the coals are generally still warm at that time). Once I switch to lump/extruded (especially with the KK) I'll probably want to move that up to just after the cook or just wait until things are cool. I'm guessing cleaning just before a cook would also work, but then I'd be leaving stuff on the grill between cooks which may attract some unwanted friends. In your case I'd be worried that the extra bits of stuck-on roo-meat would attract a drop bear and those things can really ruin a cookout. :D

I never clean after a cook...I prefer to clean after the mess has burned into something less messy than goo, like charred bits. ;) If it was a really messy cook, then I open the grill to run up the temps for a few minutes before shutting down, to help it burn everything out. That makes cleanup the next time much easier.

BTW, since the grill is closed, with only the polder hole to allow entry, critters are no problem. If they are, you arent cooking enough :P

In your case I'd be worried that the extra bits of stuck-on roo-meat would attract a drop bear and those things can really ruin a cookout. :D

If the lid is as easy to open as it seems I'm more worried about my dogs :D

Dropbears are no problem roo poo a bit more (but their hangout is at least 2 k's away so...)

I never clean after a cook...I prefer to clean after the mess has burned into something less messy than goo' date=' like charred bits. ;) If it was a really messy cook, then I open the grill to run up the temps for a few minutes before shutting down, to help it burn everything out. That makes cleanup the next time much easier.[/quote']

That sounds the go (high temp burn after the cook) since I gather getting temps down takes a while longer on the KK (due to it's great temparature holding capabilities) than the 'ol gasser or WSM?

Sure would be nice if Billybar came in a stainless steel model' date=' [/quote']

Ouch, good point. When I looked at the thread earlier, I did not even realize that he forged carbon steel into this billybar.

I should mention that scraping stainless steel with carbon steel is not a good idea. This might not be an issue since it will be covered in grease most of the time. But generally speaking, anywhere stainless steel comes in contact with carbon, it will develop rust spot. The only proper metal substance for cleaning SS, is SS. If you are going to use this scraper, buy a SS brush also and give it a good brushing when you are through to avoid leaving any carbon traces on the grill grates.

-=Jasen=-