Mcdddy

Recommendation for waterproof plastic cover for rain protection of KK32 Big Bad

I live in Portland Oregon so I get unpredictable heavy rains. I have the KK outdoor cover already and I definitely house my big bad 32 in the garage for the winter but some unpredictable heavy rain late fall or sometimes early summer. I’m looking for a waterproof cover I can use when those h any rains come something more waterproof than the KK cover. I was thinking about a huge outdoor garbage bag like 100gal wide mouth size if it fits. 
Does anyone know if this would fit or if there is something better?

Edited by Mcdddy

I don't think it really matters that much, but the PNW is a very different level of rain than San Diego or even NYC. Personally, I'd probably look into a waterproof spray on the existing cover every so often instead of a plastic bag. Looks better, and no concern over melting if there's a stray hot spot. Plus a little better ventilation so water is less likely to be trapped against the cooker to let wee beasties grow.

Just curious- am I missing something here? Is the concern about rain mainly relevant in places which also snow/ freeze- in which case the KK would be subjected to freeze/ thaw cycles in any cracks that develop? Perhaps I've been lucky, but 3yrs in, the exterior of my KK looks pristine and is crack free.

My KK sits completely uncovered on our patio, just outside the kitchen window. All the better as I can appreciate its beauty. Any dust etc gets nicely washed off when it rains. Much better than looking at a cover (every cover I ever had on my previous BBQ's ended up covered in spider webs/ bird poo and other unpleasantness).

Yes- my side tables need refinishing every year because they are exposed to the weather, but the same is true of all outdoor teak furniture.

Now- being in Melbourne, our rainfall is modest, and it never freezes- so obviously I am lucky in that regard. But logically, my tiled and grouted KK offers the same water protection as my tiled and grouted bathroom.

I would also be worried that a cover would impede ventilation to some degree and increase the risk of mould developing during the hot and humid summer months.

39 minutes ago, David Chang said:

i 3m scotchguard the kk cover 2-3 times a year

That's great David, I used to wax my car 3-5x a year for something to do but when it came to covers I never thought of that, I just got another.  I have a Ducks Unlimited cover for my KK, it's 7 years old and the only one I've had for the KK, it still works although it's parked under the deck. You've got me thinking, I remember when it was new it would repel water just like a finished wax on the car, it still repels water but it doesn't bead water like it was new, I believe that memory has passed...at least for covers. Good idea, shake the tree, I'm in for a can.

• Like 1