DennisLinkletter

Pine Rosin/Resin Baked Potatoes!

Cooking potatoes in resin produces the finest baked potato you will ever eat. Guaranteed!

Pine Rosin or "resin" is a very thick almost sap.

It can be bought here:

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?products_id=373

The extreme hot produces a remarkably light and fluffy potato.

Place in a large iron kettle:

10 - 25 lbs. Resin

This sounds extravagant, but the resin may be used repeatedly.

Heat resin to the boiling point. This resin will flash so be careful also.

Slowly lower a potato into the resin using a large slotted wooden-handled spoon.

Allow them to remain in the simmering resin until they float to the top.

Remove potatoes and place at once diagonally on foot-square sheets of heavy brown paper. Twist the ends of the paper and serve the potatoes in the wrapping.

The process is more thermodynamic than culinary. The hot resin seals the skin of the potato, allowing it to cook very quickly while holding in the moisture.

That is interesting. I wouldn't have thought about cooking potatoes in pine tar. You need to purchase 10 to 25 pounds of pine tar?

Where/how did you learn about this? Do you cook anything else in pine tar?

Apparently the answer is Yes you do need a lot of pine tar. Here is a link to more on the subject:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/ ... 01748.html

Anyway, sounds delicious but I can see my self spending tha type of money for the resin. Perhaps for a super special occasion.

Tin foil (re: linked article herein) doesn't help cook potatoes??? I was having real difficulty cooking potatoes on the Q until I wrapped them in foil and then they cooked beautifully. That seems like proof in pudding to me, but . . .

I don't think I would eat the skin prepared like this - hehe. Also, seems to me like the same thing could be achieved just deep frying it?

I like to coat the outside off my tators with olive oil and use spicy season salt on it. Makes some mighty tasty skins too!

-=Jasen=-

Found this old post while searching for another potato recipe. Brought back childhood memories. The South Carolina trapshoot state tournament every year had a big pork BBQ on Saturday night and they always made these pine resin baked potatoes. They were heaven! I've never seen them anywhere else. They didn't cook them in pots of the resin though. They wrapped theirs in newspaper and tossed them in the resin to coat them and just threw them into the BBQ pit. Fished them out of the coals with a pitchfork. You broke them open and they were just so fluffy inside. I've never been able to duplicate that with aluminum foil.