Jim Malter

Lighting charcoal

Hi All-

Just a note to be cautious. I recently tried to relight some multiply used lump which had pretty much compacted under its own weight and sealed off the air flow from below. I noticed flames coming out the bottom door of the KK within 15 sec of starting the gas. I took a crowbar and punctured the lump in 5 places and viola, gas OK. It is probably worth doing this before cooking on a regular basis..

Jim

Another alternative is to spray some PAM on a few sheets of newspaper. Roll it into a loose ball and cover with coal, leaving a small tail of the paper exposed. Don't bury it or you'll snuff the flame. Light the paper and in 5 you're good to go. Depending on my mood I'll use this method or a MAPP torch.

Dub, if you like the Weber cubes, then I saw an alternative you may be interested in. Last time I was walking through the garden section at Target, I saw some pouches that contained the same while solid. It sure looked like the same stuff as the cubes, but they were in what looked like mylar sugar packets - about 25 or 30 to a box.

You might keep an eye out for them, they are made by Coleman.

Edit: they are Thermos brand. I just saw them again $5.99 for 24 pack