marco polo

Veggie night

Thats funny, I never had any idea what Lemoncella was, then my parents came back from Italy and brought some back for us. It stayed in the cabinet until we had some daring company and we decided to try it out after several other adult beverages. Much to our surprise it was really good.

Burn remdey

Don't ask me why this works, but it does. When I first heard of it, I called BS on it, but later on I tried it myself and it woks wonders.

Just yesterday, after smoking up a pork loin and a top sirloin, I had an old fashioned metal meat thermometer in the roast. I had left it in for an hour or so. Went out, pulled the lid off the weber while talking with someone (head up you know what) grabbed on to the thermometer to pluck it out.

It of course instantly burned the four fingers where I grabbed it around its face. It burned it to where the ridge detail of my fingerprints were gone where I touched it (smooth and shiny ring).

Went inside and got my extra large costco sized bottle of vanilla out, put burned hand over sink and freely poured some over it. The vanilla dries out in like five minutes or so, and when it does repeat the application.

Pain usually gone in 20 minutes or so.

This morning, you can still see the burned ring of course, but no pain whatsoever.

Clearly you don't want to do this if you have burnt your skin so bad that it is open (3rd degree etc), due to risk of infection. But for common cooking burns, its a God send

Its also the greatest smelling burn treatment ever, you may feel a sudden urge to run to the nearest Coldstone Creamery!

A large bottle of vanilla is now standard kit in the cooking gear, both here and on the road..

Thank you, PC. :smt008

Fortunately no blisters - or teeny one if any. Cannot see it. I was VERY lucky. Back of fingers on left hand (the one holding the lid).

I did the ice water thing for hours, until I couldn't figure out how to sleep with fingers in ice. Put burn cream on, and ran around the house flapping hand up and down from pain, and fanned it with magazine for about half hour. Then the pain eased some. Maybe it kept hurting but my brain decided to quit listening. Dunno. More slather of burn cream with lidocaine, and it seemed to help.

Today swollen and pink, and don't THINK of touching it. But otherwise ok.

As I said, I was VERY lucky. :shock:

Squash, not so much. :roll:

Alto shaam

PC

Yes, they are electric. There is the cook & hold which is likely what you had, I have one of those as well, a double over/under setup, they are for used to hold things like you say, and also to cook, you can set a cook temp, a cook time, and a hold temp.

They are used as well for prime rib in the big places like Laurey's etc. They put them in the neight before and cook em low and slow. The ovens are sealed so no moisture gets out.

The smoke oven is a single, and is a bit wider and shorter, same cook and hold settings but also has a small tray w/electrode you put hardwood chips in. It does not take too much wood, as the oven is sealed. A pain to clean the smoke oven though.

The cook/hold is also great to do whole corned beef, you don't even take it out of the cryovac, there is little to no shrinkage, and it really comes out great!