NOBIV

KK vs. BGE

yeah, thats the thing for me. aside from the spring hinge on the XL BGE, and the damper top sometimes falling off, i've got nothing BAD to say about BGE. they are great cookers, for sure. there are just more GOOD things to say, imo, about my KK. i do hear folks talking about how the BGE is "ugly", but that's in the eye of the beholder. i think they look fine. they aren't as majestic as my KK, but i wouldn't call them ugly either.

and they'll cook up a storm, for sure!

bottom line, i wouldn't feel like i'd made a bad choice by buying an egg; it just might bug me a little that i could have made a better choice had i waited a little longer. and trust me on this; i know a little bit about "ceramic" cooker regret :mad: i have had the "cement cooker blues" before.

Thank you all for the responses. Was not quite sure what I was going to get with the first, but hey humor is a good thing.

I already have the BGE and was considering selling it - although I just purchased in in April. It does the job as I have cooked 1 pork butt for 20 hours, various ribs; pork, KC, short (beef), beer can chicken, you name it. Even got the thing to 800+ for 1.5 inch bone-in ribeyes. Nothing has turned out bad. BTW The beef short ribs were something special. It maintains temperatures both low and high. My only complaint is the grilling surface area is too small even for the large BGE. So cooking up multiples of anything is a chore unless you strart adding Eggcessories to it....

So, I will give it till the end of the year and then beg the wife...Actually I never beg, I simply ask for forgiveness....... :twisted:

Thanks also to NakedWhiz for the lump suggestions...The Wicked Good is really just that Wicked Good I figure 66 lbs should last through the winter....

Thanks again

hey nobiv, a couple firebricks and a no-name 22" grate from a lowes/menards/home depot will give you 2 tier cooking for cheep! if it were me, i'd keep the BGE and get the KK later on to supplement. just have the whole gang over for a holiday dinner and say, "yknow honey, i WISH i had enuf grill space to do everything for dinner... those taters would sure be good baked up on the grill"... that way, you got one cooker for the gynormous turkey, roast whatever, and the other for taters, corn, bread, BRUSSEL SPROUTS, ABT's, whatever...

its a good plan...

... if it were me' date=' i'd keep the BGE and get the KK later on to supplement. just have the whole gang over for a holiday dinner ...[/quote']

Now ya got me wanting to keep the ugly one on my back porch again. But I've only used it once since the pretty one got here.

So PC, have you used your ugly one since getting the pretty one, or did you find someone to take it off your hands?

funny, considering my advice on the ol BGE. since the old firebox is still in pieces in the POSK, the only use i have for it is as a container for stuff on the back patio and, hilariously, to hold a plastic garbage bag. i needed it for trash, paper plates, styro meat trays, etc., so i just popped open the lid, held a corner of the bag against the rim of the POSK and lowered the lid.

not exactly the "paper test", but it is firmly held in place, and convenient enough right there. i'll have to post a pic. it's pretty funny.

of course, if i didn't have to rutland the pieces back together again, i might use it more. plus, the metal lump saver is about rusted thru. i DO occasionally use the upper grill in my KK, and it fits as long as the handle on that grate is put towards the back of my cooker. but, philosophically speaking, that arrangement is an affront. i NEED to get the kk "grill with legs" sometime soon.

if i can get myself to re-repair the firebox and get a knockoff porcelain replacement grate for my rusted out "lump saver", then maybe i'll use the POSK again. oh, and the damper top is STILL rusted half open, so temp control involves TIN FOIL.

so, no, i havent found a buyer. honestly, i would feel like im being unethical selling it, even if i could. the couple calls of interest i got never returned for a second call or look.

dude, yeh. i dont know what the diameter that low in the POSK is, but if a 22.5 wont fit, an 18 should. hmmm. no need for the ceramic firebox or LS at all. hmm.

this i'll have to try.

I've got a spare portland grate (did you say porcelain ha ha ha, that's hilarious) for my #7 if you need it, it's yours for s&h.

The Komodo held in an average of 65% more heat.

From the Naked Whiz review..

Cooker Efficiency/Heat Retention

We considered comparing the efficiency of the Komodo Kamado with a large Big Green Egg (the only other brand of ceramic cooker we own), but we don't really have a way to measure the relative efficiency of the two cookers since they vary so greatly in size. However, we were able to heat both cookers up and then measure the surface temperature of the domes.

We used BBQ Guru Competitors to keep both cookers at 400 degrees (dome temperature) for two and a half hours.

We then measured the surface temperature of the two cookers at various locations on their domes, from their lower edge up to the upper vent, using a Type K precision surface probe.

The temperature of the dome on the Egg varied from 180 degrees at the lower edge of the dome to 245 degrees at the top of the dome near the upper vent.

The Komodo Kamado varied from 110 degrees at the base of the dome to 160 degrees at the top near the upper vent. While the dome of the Egg was scorching hot to the touch, you could leave your hand anywhere on the Komodo Kamado's dome for at least a few seconds. Clearly the Komodo Kamado is keeping more heat inside the cooker.

The Komodo held in an average of 65% more heat. That just has to affect the outcome of your cook.

;)

dude, yeh. i dont know what the diameter that low in the POSK is, but if a 22.5 wont fit, an 18 should. hmmm. no need for the ceramic firebox or LS at all. hmm.

this i'll have to try.

Porkchop....my brother-in-law is using a weber grill in the bottom of his K7 for a lump bed. It brings the fire a little closer to the main grill, but that is ok.

Re: The Komodo held in an average of 65% more heat.

The Komodo held in an average of 65% more heat. That just has to affect the outcome of your cook.

;)

Actually, I think not. The efficiency of the cooker will definitely affect your charcoal usage but not necessarily the radiant heat hitting your food.

I think the big step is moving from a steel cooker to ceramic. Grades of ceramic most likely have less outcome on the food's flavor.

One thing I've wondered is if "more ceramic" would take longer for the cooker to come up to temp. KK has come up with a very clever solution by doing that bi material thing.

Actually, I think not. The efficiency of the cooker will definitely affect your charcoal usage but not necessarily the radiant heat hitting your food.

I think the big step is moving from a steel cooker to ceramic. Grades of ceramic most likely have less outcome on the food's flavor.

Yep, I totally agree.

;)

One thing I've wondered is if "more ceramic" would take longer for the cooker to come up to temp. KK has come up with a very clever solution by doing that bi material thing.

Well in turn, if less charcoal is used, then less combustion was needed to achieve the same temperatures which in turn would reduce the air needed for combustion. Less airflow would arrive at greater moisture retained in the combustion area, so the food would be exposed to less air flow. So potentially you could have affected the food flavor by increasing efficiency. Though I agree the big jump is moving from steel to ceramics.

BTW, welcome to the forum! Love the UserNamer - hehe.

-=Jasen=-

Well in turn, if less charcoal is used, then less combustion was needed to achieve the same temperatures which in turn would reduce the air needed for combustion. Less airflow would arrive at greater moisture retained in the combustion area, so the food would be exposed to less air flow. So potentially you could have affected the food flavor by increasing efficiency. Though I agree the big jump is moving from steel to ceramics.

-=Jasen=-

Be careful though, following your speculation, an oven with no air circulation would be best and we know that isn't the case, especially if you like the whole charcoal/smoke thang.

Good to be aboard, thanks for the welcome.

-=Jasen=-

Be careful though, following your speculation, an oven with no air circulation would be best and we know that isn't the case, especially if you like the whole charcoal/smoke thang.

Good to be aboard, thanks for the welcome.

Apples and Oranges since we are talking about charcoal grills. But that is why I place a spoon in the oven door when I make beef jerky, otherwise it would take much longer for the beef to dry.

BTW, sounds like your in the ceramic game, what are you currently cooking with? Glad to have you aboard! Got any great recipes? Love to have them in the recipe section if so.

-=Jasen=-

BTW, sounds like your in the ceramic game, what are you currently cooking with? Glad to have you aboard! Got any great recipes? Love to have them in the recipe section if so.

-=Jasen=-

I bought a BGE this spring and have been thrilled with it. So far I haven't invented any new recipes but have been amazing my friends and family with simple stuff like $.69/pound chicken simply rubbed and cooked direct at 350o - my dad who's a total curmudgeon actually asked to be invited back next time we make it!

The KK looks like an amazing piece of hardware and I'm glad that this forum is a "friendly" as opposed to that other place.