Porkchop

Instant roux!

don't remember where i saw this (foodTV somewhere i think) but it works like a charm!

if you find it a pain to cook out a good roux for a gumbo, gravy, or whatever, try this; take a 1/2 cup white all-purpose flour and brown it in the oven first. i did this at 350 for about 25 min, stirring it about after 15 min. the color of the flour when i took it out was blonde-ish or "off white", but when i stirred in a scant 1/2 c. oil, it turned into a beautiful peanut-butter roux for my stew i was fixing (leftover turkey stew! awesome!). no standing over the pan cooking out the roux and constantly stirring to keep it from burning. i imagine you could keep the "browned flour/instant roux" in a cool dry place for quite awhile, in reserve. defo beats a "buerre mane" or cornstarch or raw roux for gravies!

Re: Instant roux!

don't remember where i saw this (foodTV somewhere i think) but it works like a charm!

By chance was it that crazy guy on youtube where you saw that technique? That is a good tip. Another tip for the really lazy, yes me, is to use Tony Chachere's instant roux. It is actually pretty good for something so quick. Their gravy mix is good too.

-=Jasen=-

Might not be this one, but one in this series.

I used to work with a chemistry PhD, who had a favorite response to questions like this:

"How can we test this, Trish?"

Let is know what you find out :D

Firemonkey...good one. :lol: Funny thing is, I am not much of a fan for gravy. My parents are from Oklahoma and my mom makes some great 'okie' food, but I never caught on to the gravy tradition. :oops: