jiarby

Soapstone cookware

I just registered a couple weeks ago too. I am still chugging on my old K's don't have a new one like they sell here.

re.. soapstone pot

Mr. Sissy-G's came to the 2004 Kamado Kookoff (see photos here:

http://www.glennbutler.com/photos/thumb ... hp?album=3)

and cooked the greatest Gumbo with homemade stock in a soapstone pot with a copper band. The perfect thing for slow simmering a stew, gumbo, or chili in a K. I thought I had a photo but I can't put my mouse on it just this second. I have coveted one ever since!

1236soapstone.jpg

Re: Thanks!

I want one of those....

No kidding, Majestic! Sign me up! GORGEOUS!

Maybe once all the holiday bills are paid, I can buy one.

Can you just imagine how great a stew/beans/rice/anything would taste from that? And think of the presentation!

Ok, if I dropped it in the kitchen sink, the sink would crack. But still! :)

My source was TemperatureWare. It does look like they went up in price. One of the smaller pots on a good hotplate makes a slowcooker of the gods.

Here's the gumbo Glenn was talking about, made in a K. I smoked the meats over the pot, then diced them into the gumbo and degreased a bit. (The soapstone darkens immediately on contact with oil for seasoning, and stays the new, darker color.)

9671.jpg

A sign of the apocalypse' date=' for sure... :happy8:[/quote']

Scary, ain't it? DJ's just faster on the draw than I am. :D

Anyone else notice how Amphoran's link goes to something that suspiciously looks like custom tiles (albeit large ones) to try to convince Dennis to try to use? Nothing like a soapstone KK to match your soapstone cookware.

Creole Gumbo

I've posted the gumbo recipe in question here:

Creole Gumbo

I have 2 quart and 3 quart soapstone pots for indoor use, and either a 6 or 8 quart pot dedicated to outdoor use. (I'm away from it, I can't go measure...)

Much cheaper, and far more all-around useful, is a large Spanish cazuela, like sold by The Spanish Table. One of our single favorite dishes is to brine some wild salmon four hours or so in 1/2 cup sea salt, 1/4 cup sugar per gallon water, then lay it on a bed of supermarket basil in a cazuela. Cook at 225 F over apple smoke till just done to taste.

One really wants to use supermarket basil here. Yes, the weedy stuff about four times too large and gone-to-seed to make decent pesto. It infuses a flavor that goes great with salmon and apple smoke.

Much cheaper, and far more all-around useful, is a large Spanish cazuela, like sold by The Spanish Table.

I typically use corningware or other stoneware on the grill. Is there any benefit/difference with these cazuelas?

Stoneware is cheap and almost disposable, since you can get glazed stoneware pieces in various sizes and shapes for about $5 and under at Pottery Barn.