DennisLinkletter

Back on the Chuck Wagon..

Indo chuck.. only 12.76lbs most of the fat trimmed off. I cut a few strips off where it was about 2 inches thick. Cut these up into little strips, then punctured the large muscle areas with a small parring knife and filled the slits with these pieces of fat and rub. About 12 to 15 of these.

Slathered it all with French's mustard, then rub and home grown, ground up sun-dried chiles.

KKchuck2.jpg

KKchuck3.jpg

KKchuck5.jpg

Put the still cold meat in at 200º with lots of coffee wood for smoke. Once the meat hit 135º I cranked it up to 350º until it hit 165º when I dialed it back to 225º where I kept it until the meat was 188º when it was wrapped and put in a pre-heated cooler. The cook was a little over 19 hours.

KKchuck6.jpg

KKchuck1.jpg

The bark was soo good and I ate soo much of it while pulling it that I almost could not eat any dinner. Everybody loved this chuck.

I had a lightly toasted whole wheat with Best Foods/Helmans, warmed pulled chuck with just a little slightly melted shredded jack cheese sandwich this morning.. Awesome! Wanted to have another but am still trying to loose some of the lbs I gained in the States in Dec.

:eek:

KKchuck7.jpg

KKchuck8.jpg

I'll be giving away most of this cook to people at the factory who always want my Q but can't eat pork.

Another Chuck..More bite wanted..

Last chuck was a tasty but could have been a little more firm.. It sorta fell apart after freezing. So I'm going to try to pull this one a bit earlier..

Marinated this one overnight in some red wine, balsamic, fresh rosemary and thyme, sun dried chilies, and a handful of a couple of different rubs..

Chuck-1.jpg

Slathered on thick French's mustard ensures a solid hard bark

Chuck-2.jpg

Tied up to make the chuck more round/solid, then evenly sprinkled with rub.

Chuck-3.jpg

Threw it on with coffee wood and one chunk of hickory. Set it at about 220º

Chuck-4.jpg

After 22 hours I pulled at 182º (wanted it out at 180º) and did not wrap it.. Just left it out to cool.

Chuck-5.jpg

Much more pleased with the texture of this one. You can see how much more stringy this one appears.

Will pull about 178º next time and wrap.. I want it to have a little more bite.. it's plenty tender.. I don't mind chewing.

Chuck-6.jpg

But pleased with this one.. stuffed myself eating the best looking pieces while vacuum bagging this up..

Chuck-7.jpg