DMAX

Rack of Lamb

Hey all! I want to try something different on the KK this weekend. I wanted to stick to an intense flavored meat, something that would stand to benefit from the low and slow, but hold on through it all with a concentrated boldness. I want to try a salt and rosemary rubbed rack of new zealand lamb, but am unsure of what (if any) smoking wood to try (i'm thinking maple). I also wondered if anyone has experimented with the results of using a big tannic red wine to finish off a cook. Will it char like the sugar in the mops I have tried?

Maybe I should use no wood, just charcaol for the first try. I'm thinking 200 F for 3 hours, then remove the deflector, drop to a sear level and touch them off with a few minutes of high heat.

Thoughts?

DMAX

You might try some red wine cask smoking wood. Sometimes you can find it at BedBathBeyond.

Thanks Trish, sounds interesting. The base wood should be white oak, or possibly french oak....could be yummy. Of course, being of the male persuasion, I am forbidden to enter BB&B, or risk losing my card! ;)

DMAX

Re: Rack of Lamb

Maybe I should use no wood, just charcaol for the first try. I'm thinking 200 F for 3 hours, then remove the deflector, drop to a sear level and touch them off with a few minutes of high heat.

Thoughts?

DMAX

Just remember to cook by watching your probes/meat temp. Thinking in degrees and hours can get you in trouble. Identical cuts of meat can take considerably longer.. Decide on a target temp to do your drop and sear not a predetermined temp and time.

Remember you can make punctures with a small knife to later fill with the herb paste. I made about 10 holes.. about pinkey size.

This gets the flavor down into the meat

AUlegLamb1.jpg

I used Fresh rosemary, mint, Coriander, basil, thyme, garlic, young onion shoots, lemon zest, sun-dried chilies, lemon zest and juice, balsamic vinegar, lil splash of worcester sauce, olive oil and salt all chopped up..

AUlegLamb2.jpg

AUlegLamb4.jpg

Smelled amazing.. really special using fresh herbs.

AUlegLamb5.jpg

Enjoy it.. I just had a lamb sandwich from that cook.. really good!

;););)

Of course, being of the male persuasion, I am forbidden to enter BB&B, or risk losing my card! ;)

Come on dude, your chapter does not have a rule book on these situations? Here you are allowed, but you have to carry an open beer, cuss and pass gas on several occasions while inside. You also must scowl and look disgusted at any other men while in the store, so they understand you are being withheld nookie if you did not go to the BB& B. One warning, if you smile, laugh or ask for an item in a different color, your card is immediately revoked! Follow those simple rules and you may enter a BB&B while maintaining your manhood!

-=Jasen=-

Well they did, but being the Nations Capitol, when so many metrosexuals started to infiltrate, the rules interpretation and subsequent enforcement became so convoluted, a closed quorum was held and it was decided that guilt would be presumed until proven innocent. Thus the backlog for illegal male status hearings became a political football, and there is a freeze on any being held for the foreseeable future. So until then, no BB&B, no mocha capaccino and no madras shirts...

Where to stick the Probe

Remember, you can regulate the cooker as well as any oven(that weighs 600lbs with true refractory walls). I have not cooked a rack of lamb on "Godzilla" yet,but would think if you can keep the temps at between 400 and 450 you can cook a rack for the same time as the oven--I try for 30 to 40 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 125 to 130. Just make sure the probe is inserted properly; insert it lengthwise so the tip portion containing the sensor is in the center of the meat. Also before you put that tender cut on the Upper Grate, let the meat come to room temp before cooking,shouldn't take more than 45 min/to one hour to warm up. I always use the deflector when using the upper sear grate,as well as the drip pan. Lamb fat is highly combustible.Good luck,and don't worry about going to BBandB,I'm very comfortable with my manhood, they have great bar accessories, as well as pretty ladies that are always willing to strike up a conversation with some of us good looking guys!