ThreeDJ16

Grill Starter Torch Mod (Rev 0)

Swagelock is soooooo pricey

Yes they are!

Another trick to getting cheap SS tubing is to ask to dig in the scrap pile. One of our local suppliers used to basically give me tubing that was set aside for salvage. Only thing wrong was simple exterior carbon contamination or bent in some spots. Neither items are show stoppers for the stuff I do, but the supplier cannot sell them as new! Which is where I step in and help them out..hehe. :wink:

Sometimes the same trick gets me some valves and fittings too. Also, I find it greatly influences the situation and outcome to mention you homebrew and BBQ. I have gotten more free stuff that way than I care to mention. :wink:

-=Jasen=-

Yup' date=' Majestik confirmed those measurements for me. I had to threaten his dudehood for him to go find a tape measure though![/quote']

A REAL dude doesn't NEED a tape measure. He just KNOWS. :wink:

Bah, women know not of these matters! Begone and return only when you have a cold frosty beverage from the icebox!! :smt076:la::downtown:

-=Jasen=-

Fire!

Well, the mail lady brought me a toy yesterday. Not sure where this came from? 8)

This thing lights a grill faster than the Nam Sang catches power lines! Quite impressive just how much sharp, blue flame this thing emits. I am going to need to get a few more tanks just so I can play with it!

dscn2457py0.jpg

dscn2458us1.jpg

dscn2459vd8.jpg

The fruits of DJs labor...some grilled vegetables and some mango-chipotle chicken sausages

dscn2460gt5.jpg

Harbor freight is backordered on the torches.

Deej must have spawned a run on the bank!

Try ordering it online? This link shows them in stock. Odd, the price went back down. Two weeks ago, the price went up to $17.99. Now they are back down to $13.99. I believe the original one I purchased was $12.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=91061

-=Jasen=-

Hi Jasen,

Is there any special tool needed to bend the SS tubing so the gas still goes through? If so, where do I find it? I know how to do the rest of the project but I don't want to crimp the middle of the tube when I turn the corner!

(Boy I hate this keyboard!!!)

Thanks!

Zorro

Hi Jasen,

Is there any special tool needed to bend the SS tubing so the gas still goes through? If so, where do I find it? I know how to do the rest of the project but I don't want to crimp the middle of the tube when I turn the corner!

(Boy I hate this keyboard!!!)

Thanks!

Zorro

Yup, you must have a tubing bender rated for the same size tubing in which you want to bend. In this case you need a 3/8" tube bender. You can get one from Lowes or Home Depot (though they tend to be expensive). Harbor Freight might even have one. FYI, if you see a spring looking tube bender, that is for soft copper only. This is the type you need for SS tube ( http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/500-Series- ... /index.htm ). I am sure you know this, but thought worth mentioning.....make sure you thread the end before bending.

Can't wait to see some pics!

-=Jasen=-

One more note. Was adjusting my water heater yesterday when low and behold, there was the flex metal tubing going from the control valve to burner that I have been looking for. So if I can easily find this part or come across an old similar one, there might be one more revision in the near future. FYI, it is a Whirlpool gas water heater if anyone was curious about the tube. Even had a bracket attached with the piezo ignitor.

-=Jasen=-

Yup' date=' you must have a tubing bender rated for the same size tubing in which you want to bend. [/quote']

I have a Waring Blendor. Does that count? :wink:

I love my Kitchen Aid!! It can churn out some tasty, frosty adult beverages without working up much of a sweat. Would not trade it nuttin'! Using it now...hehehe....Rum Runners!

-=Jasen=-

I've been looking at that flex gas hose, but it always has large connectors on the ends.

The diameter is also significantly larger than 3/8".

I've got some ideas up my sleeve, but they'll have to wait on Harbor Freight.

Hehe, TIG welder makes short work of those odd size ends. But can't wait to see what you come up with. Wish I had one of those flex tubes on hand to see. I did find some armor flex SS flex tube in my junk bin, but it is not gas tight. Not sure how I feel about possible gas leaks...hehe.

-=Jasen=-

Yup' date=' you must have a tubing bender rated for the same size tubing in which you want to bend. [/quote']

I have a Waring Blendor. Does that count? :wink:

I love my Kitchen Aid!! It can churn out some tasty, frosty adult beverages without working up much of a sweat. Would not trade it nuttin'! Using it now...hehehe....Rum Runners!

-=Jasen=-[/quote:8fg2jwrq]

:D No Pics, No Rum Runners :D