ThreeDJ16

Grill Starter Torch Mod (Rev 0)

The Benzomatic torches work great. I use a T3000 from Wal-mart at about $31 also have the Harbor Freight one. Like the Benzomatic one is better. The cheap one does not seem to shut off and the bottles don't last long for me.

Yeah, that is the trouble with the cheap torches. Thought have not had that trouble with mine. I just make sure it is turned off tight and been using the same tank for a long time.

Wanted to base a mod on the Benz-o-matic or Turbotorch, but looks like they use custom threaded fittings or non-standard as nothing I could find would fit on them. I was close to design on a turbotorch, but really wanted the ignitor. I did find a Benz-0-matic cane style weed burner at Lowes. But it was almost $50 and gonna take a lot of conversion to fit.

-=Jasen=-

Rev 2.0

Ok, made up a couple of torches for some buds and tweaked a few things along the way. Made a much stronger, solid grill mount. Reduced the size of the tubing to 3/8". That way I could just thread the tube to 1/8" NPT verses having to weld on a 1/8" pipe nipple (as 3/8" tube is close to the same size as 1/8" pipe). Used a smaller gauge wire on the ignitor so I could use fiberglass sleeving (flame retardant) and also made the ignitor wiring pluggable for easier dis-assembly.

Parts wise, this would be a cheap mod. But unfortunately, the parts have to be heavily modified by hand involving quite a bit of time. Can't foresee anyone wanting to pay $100 which is about what it would cost for my time involvement in making them. In a production environment, they could probably make numerous starters an hour for a low cost. Maybe one day some manufacturer will start building a quick & easy grill starter like this one!

BTW, this is a testament to ease of use. Not knocking any women, but my wife is about as far away from a grill user as you can get. Just for the hell of it the other day, I asked her to go light the grill for me. She was intrigued since I had made up this starter and reluctantly said yes. After a quick instruction on the gas valve and push button ignitor, she went over and started the grill right up. Trust me when I say it was no small feat being she is even scared of Bic lighters.

Anyway, enjoy the pics!

-=Jasen=-

dscn1620mediumkc1.jpg

dscn1621mediumpt5.jpg

dscn1613mediumai2.jpg

dscn1614mediumce9.jpg

dscn1615mediumwg5.jpg

dscn1616mediumdw3.jpg

dscn1617mediumsz3.jpg

Suh-WEET!

Got my torch from Deej Inc. today. Tightened the fittings, screwed on a gas can, adjusted the spark and BOOM!

img1911hq1.jpg

This thing is scary efficient. Very intense flame, much more than I expected. The coals were going in no time... now my wife won't have any excuse to not get the K going before I get home.

Thanks Jasen! Love it!

:D

mike, whats kind of rack is that in your K? I have never seen one like that?

I have the lower bracket, and main grill for mine, but nothing that goes down into the lump holder?

That looks like one of their upper rack holders with folding legs that he just placed on the firebox. The grate sets in place on it. Always hated that damn thing as the legs would fall if you were not careful. Much prefer the fixed leg upper/sear grill that I have now.

-=Jasen=-

Hey Jasen,

Could I ask you to put dimensions on the photo of the single torch rev 2.0? I'm thinking of lengths between bends on the bracket and the tube. That would be a big help to those of us trying to follow in your giant footsteps.

Thanx,

Mike

Ouch, I no longer have either of those torches to measure. Maybe one of the recipients could rough it in? Sadly my memory is not what it used to be. But I think it is 12" from elbow to threads. And I believe 4" from elbow to 45 degree bend. The short side of the elbow can be as tight as the compression fitting allows. Only reason I left any room there was thinking it might need a wire eyelet (but it did not).

-=Jasen=-

Yup, Majestik confirmed those measurements for me. I had to threaten his dudehood for him to go find a tape measure though!

Ah, just read your post again. The above measurement were for the 3/8" tube. Next time I go outside, I will check on the bracket measurements. But I am quite sure I just took a piece of 2" flatbar (1/16 thick) x 7" or 8" and drilled a 1" hole at one end, then measured 4" for the hole and bent it 90 degrees. And lastly turned up the bottom 1/2" on the tip slightly to keep from scratching up the inside of the grill.

-=Jasen=-

Ok, recently reinstalled OS so I must have missed putting any good pic programs on my puter. Anyway, excuse the crudeness, but was easier to draw it and scan it rather than find a program.

Also, I had the bracket outside as I made one for my torch too. It ended up being 9" x 2" x 1/16" flatbar. The dimensions on the torch I kept were pretty close to the new torch dimensions. So anyway, here ya go.

-=Jasen=-

photograph22qb7.th.jpg

I'll make one this week!

One thing that hasn't been explicitly mentioned, but I think is clear, is that by rotating the tank, you can pretty much get a full sweep across the bowl of coal, right? Limited by the length from the first 90 to the 45?

Cheers,

Mike

Cool! Hmm, thought that I mentioned that somewhere in this thread? Between sliding the tank or moving the arm up and down, it will reach anywhere. But as Majestik mentioned, this thing has a very nice throw on the flame. So you really don't have to move it much anyway.

Can't wait to see what improvements you make on it!

-=Jasen=-

Could be my failing memory....

You really haven't left much to improve here, that is one very elegant design.

Is there a spec or trade name for the heat-insulated wire you've used to extend the piezo circuit? That doesn't look like a Home Despot sort of item...

Thanks. The sleeving was just some fiberglass sleeving from Granger. There is a link somewhere in one of my Guru threads as this is the stuff I used to cover the probes. But honestly, a spark plug wire works perfect. If you can find one that still uses a wire verses graphite, it would be even better. There is no way your gonna burn it up unless you do something really bad.

BTW, don't know if I mentioned that the tube fitting is actually a tube end cap that I drilled and tapped to 1/8" pipe. It is cheaper and smaller than buying an actual 3/8"tube to 1/8" Female NPT fitting.

-=Jasen=-