Justin Smith

Meat Thermometer

Probes

Lord knows everyone will have an opinion! I use a thermapen on a regular basis for everything but you DO NOT leave it in. I use a Maverick remote for low and slows and I also use the Guru. I think it may come down to your preference and how much money you want to spend. I find them great for the answer to "What do you want for Christmas, birthday etc"

John

I've got a ThermaPen, it's a great instant-read probe. I also have a Maverick RF monitor that I picked up someplace, probably Amazon or Target. It works well enough and has two probes.

Of course, once you start looking into this deeper you may find yourself wondering why you'd stop with just monitoring the temperature and go for a BBQ Guru or Stoker to also control the pit temp. :)

Did cooks have anything to say about this model' date=' or did you just see a link or something?[/quote']

I recall seeing an episode of America's Test Kitchen that reviewed instant read thermometers, but don't recall which one won. The goal was to find a good one that is less expensive than the Thermapen.

Here's what Cook's Illustrated said this past Sept. re "inexpensive" thermometers. I don't see a review of the Extech, and there's nothing that comes up on a search under that name.

The favorite, of course, is the Thermapen. "Though rather pricey, the Thermapen Instant-Read Thermometer has remained a favorite round after round of testing. The newest model, the Super-Fast Thermapen, is sold on www. thermoworks.com, under item # 211-076 for $85."

For "inexpensive" ones, see below.

Highly Recommended

CDN ProAccurate Quick Tip Digital Cooking Thermometer DTQ450

Price: $17.95

Source: www.cutleryandmore.com

Average Response Time: 10 seconds

Probe Length: 4.7 inches

Comments: CDN won us over by meeting the testing criteria on all fronts. Quick 10-second readings put it only a step

behind the test kitchen’s high-end favorite, the ThermoWorks Super-Fast Thermapen.

Recommended:

Fieldpiece SPK1

Price: $19.95

Source: www.professionalequipment.com

Average Response Time: 18 seconds

Probe Length: 3.2 inches

Comments: The swing-out, pocketknife-style probe makes for comfortable high-heat temperature measurements,

which the broad range permits (-58 to 392 degrees). No calibration function.

Comark PDT300

Source: www.abeskitchen.com

Average Response Time: 10 seconds

Probe Length: 2.8 inches

Comments: While this thermometer does offer a self-calibration button and produces speedy readings, its short probe

and limited range (-58 to 300 degrees) makes taking temperatures for deep-frying and candy-making out of the

question.

ThermoWorks RT-301

Price: $14

Source: www.thermoworks.com

Average Response Time: 18 seconds

Probe Length: 4.9 inches

Comments: Speed makes this thermometer a suitable alternative to the pricier Thermapen from the same company.

However, a relatively low maximum temperature of 248 degrees and the lack of a calibration button are drawbacks.

Recommended with Reservations:

DeltaTRAK 11000

Price: $25

Source: www.deltatrak.com

Average Response Time: 28 seconds

Probe Length: 3.9 inches

Comments: The slow response time is this thermometer’s biggest flaw. It does, however, come with a calibration

button and a probe of adequate length.

Not Recommended:

UEi PDT550

Price: $19.99

Source: www.hvacr-tools.com

Average Response Time: 39 seconds

Probe Length: 3.3 inches

Comments: The UEi’s only redeeming feature is its broad temperature range (-50 to 571 degrees). Better suited to

work in a garage than in a kitchen: Its ability to read exceedingly high temperatures and slow reading time might

meet the needs of a mechanic, but for home cooks who don’t charge by the hour or plan to measure temperatures

that push the mercury like motor oil, it makes a poor choice.

Mannix HDT303K

Source: www.professionalequipment.com

Average Response Time: 33 seconds

Probe Length: 2.5 inches

Comments: Bringing up the rear, the Mannix lost points across the board for a short stem, limited range, slow

response time, and missing self-calibration feature.

Sitting with/or teaching my little girl.. I have endless patience.

Waiting for a program or web page to load, a few extra seconds can cause agony!

Waiting for my thermometer to climb to the meats temp falls into the later catagory. I even pre-heat and get my meat thermometer near target teps thru the polder or Tru Tel how because of how much I hate to wait leaving the top open.

Also at 10+ seconds your definately not going to check two places as makes sense with let's say a brisket.

I'd rather hemorrhage initially than bleed a little bit every time I use it.

(Sorta like buying a KOmodo;-)

I don't have one but will buy one when I get around to it..

My vote is for ThermoWorks Super Fast.

;);)

Waiting for my thermometer to climb to the meats temp falls into the later catagory. I even pre-heat and get my meat thermometer near target teps thru the polder or Tru Tel how because of how much I hate to wait leaving the top open.

Also at 10+ seconds your definately not going to check two places as makes sense with let's say a brisket.

Well said. My taylor "instant read" does take forever to climb to the meats temp. Never worried about it much with the old gasser, but with the KK arriving in about 2 days, I might need to upgrade to the Thermoworks.

I use the Thermopen for all sorts of stuff in the kitchen - not just for Q. Works great for bread. Pokes a skinny little hole, and goes well into the loaf. No more "thump and guess"! :D Grandma Anna Lucia was great at that, but I didn't ever figure that out.