Porkchop

Going on the grill this weekend...

Tell me about chuck rolls... I'd like to do some beef that is similar flavor/texture-wise to brisket, but maybe more compact, more like a pork roast in terms of "ease of use". Is the "chuck roll" the answer? Why haven't I noticed them before? What sizes/temps/times do you recommend?

Thx,

Mike

I saw a recipe on the K forum for a 4 lb round of eye that I would like to do this week-end. Sounded good. The searing in a cast iron skillet sounds like the way to go for me...at least of this maiden voyage.

I'm always a big fan of a 4-poundish eye of round roast at 250 until it's 135. Nice and juicy, and the French dips the next day are KILLER.

Usually it's salt, pepper, and garlic powder for seasoning, Rod, and a chunk of apple or oak for some smoke. A four-pounder usually takes me about 90 mins, plus another 15-20 of rest time. You can always sear it in a cast-iron pan first, but that's personal preference. For dinner, I try to get thin slices (1/4"), and for sandwiches, I try to get reaalllllly thin slices (see-thru), always against the grain. It's also good on fresh sourdough with extra-sharp cheddar and a cold pilsner. Talking about it makes me hungry, so I'll do one this weekend and post some pics.

majestik- check out this thread from earlier this year

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162&highlight=#162

a chuck roll is a primal that chuck roasts are cut from. big piece of meat, #16-#18. it's an overnite cook. i supposed you could get sliced beef from it, but i've only done one. went over 20 hours i think on the first cook. i imagine it'd be a great cut for parties or catering.

I really was gonna take pics but I was drolling and clacking my teeth so much I couldn't drag myself away to get the camera. But now that I'm an expert pic poster :lol: I promise to get better about that.

We had new york strips, baked potato and a salad. It was all great.

I was gonna do the 4 lber thing in the post above but when I saw the steaks I started really wanting the eat one bad :evil:

For manana I have a pork loin that I'm gonna s-cut and flatten out. Store bought rasberry chipotle (Bronco Bob's) with some feta cheese and sliced fresh mushrooms and some brocoli. Role it up with string, and bacon and let er fly. Yummy

I don't know why, I just ate but I'm getting hungry again :lol::P

Thx, Porkchop.

I looked for a roll today at our local warehouse club (BJ's) but didn't see anything specifically called a chuck roll... but there were some cryovaced chuck roasts or something or other... probably the same or similar. In the end I chickened out and got a small brisket... Only because I haven't done one in... oh... 4 years? :shock:

I'll have a slab of spareribs over it, so it should be a fine meaty day.

:)

Heres what went on my grill...

First, some ABTs went on, joined shortly after by some potatoes to give them a head start:

DSCN1450.jpg

Then, once the ABTs were done, I brought out the main course:

DSCN1452.jpg

...and now you can see why I am in the market for a new, bigger, cooker! We feasted, and this is what was left:

DSCN1453.jpg

This is a picture of a friend...we'll call him Mr. Googley. He was apparently angry that I did not offer him any, since after 4 months of drought, the skys opened up and unleashed a deluge. Not the short, afternoon storms we are famous for. This was a 3 hour drenching - you might be able to see some small pieces of mulch in the lower left of the picture. They are floating away as the water drained off the patio!

DSCN1448.jpg

The chicken in the above pictures were breasts, which I butterflied lengthwise, brushed with some rosemary infused olive oil, and stuffed with a little crushed garlic, portabella mushrooms, fresh spices from the garden (Rosemary, thyme, sage, purple basil, and pineapple basil)a little bit of cream cheese, then folded like a letter. Finally, I wrapped the whole thing in proscuitto, and tied it up.

DSCN1445.jpg

You know, I haven't done brisket or ribs in at least 5 years. :shock: What a crime. I think I have an underlying fear of the fire going out and coming back to find raw food sitting in there. Must have happened in previous life or something.

Well, this weekend was all work. As I was going to be outside in the heat & humidity and occasional downpours for hours on end, I needed something I could walk away from, so I opted for those ribs and a brisket. This was quite adventurous for me... not like you guys who do this kinda thing all the time. Anyway, got the K going and full of lump, rubbed the meats down, put 'em in and left for the day. When we got home that evening, there they were, just waiting to be eaten. K was just pluggin' away at 225F, regardless of the intermittent thunder showers. Gotta love it. Did the rib-twist test and it just flaked apart.

Spareribs over Brisket:

img56537tq.jpg

The brisket probably could've gone a few more hours (it was in for 8 hrs), but it was tender and juicy, just not falling apart. VERY tasty though. Excellent smoked flavor-- Royal Oak lump with hickory chunks.

Brisket:

img56560ec.jpg

The ribs were amazing-- flaky, juicy... perfection.

Ribs:

img56581rq.jpg

All told, a very successful day.

A Meal (cole slaw, zuchinni parmesan, brisket, ribs, and nice cold Modelo Especial):

img56598mf.jpg

Considering I almost scrapped the whole thing when my stupid electric fire starter broke, I'd say everything turned out very well. I'm sick of those stupid electric starters... constantly crapping out on me. I actually went back to the tried-and-true chimney starter. Glad I did... had to cook something decent while Drunk_J was going without, if only to taunt.

BTW - Firemonkey - Those chicken rolls and kabobs look amazing.

--Mike