cruzmisl

What is this Chuck Roll that you speak of??

Ask him for the whole chuck roll. Its the big chunk of meat that he cuts up into chuck roasts.

If you have a sams, they seem to always have them, but you need to ask the guy working the meat dept to get you one from the back. They usually dont have them in the case. If you didnt ask for one at Costco, you may want to call or go back and ask if they have one.

I did it!!!

Picked up a 19+ lb Chuck Roll from Sam's!!!

Awesome, awesome, awesome is all I can say. Would have been better for pulling had I rendered a little longer, just ran out of time. Great tender meat none the less.

Used the cooking method and rub provided in the link. The only differences were......

1. Didn't use brown sugar in the rub.

2. Didn't foil part way through cook (when internal temp reached 160-165).

3. Cooking time 34 hours versus 16 (Used hardwood lump, reloaded once).

3. Meat internal temp of 190-195 wasn't reached. After 32 hours pulled off at 175 internal so I could get to work. Started cook Saturday night at 8:00pm finished Monday morning at 6:00am. Much of the cook was below the 220F desired temp. Struggled keeping the temp up.

102_1305.jpg

My Grandson Jonathan Carter says "Wow look at that thing!!, almost as big as me!!!"

102_1307.jpg

Doin' the chuck roll rub dance!

102_1311.jpg

36 hours later time to pull off!!

102_1312.jpg

After a day in the refer!!! Totally awesome!!!

I'd like to point out that in the first two shots there was a little kid and a chunk of meat about the same size as the little kid. Once the meat was cooked there was no more little kid. Are you sure you didn't get confused when you were putting things on the grill? :eek:

Nice looking chuck roll, JB!

These cuts are probably more forgiving than a butt, so you can push the temps up a bit and still get awesome results in half the time if you want. I think Majestik (seldom seen around these parts anymore :twisted: ) posted a few chuck rolls where he cooked at 325 or 350, and still came out great.

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... chuck+roll

There was also a thread around xmas of 2007 where leejp (?) did some temp testing and decided hotter was just as good since they are basically dripping 1/3 of their mass out of them.

Thanks for the comments guys!!! Much appreciated. And thanks Doc for posting the link!!!

We'll definitely raise the pit temp next time. But, hey; isn't that what next times are for? Ha!!!

I do have to say JD; we had the grandson for the day. He went shopping at Sam's with us in the morning. While both the chuck roll and Jonathan were sitting in the shopping cart the only difference between the two was the chuck roll didn't have of arms or legs. Ha!!! Customer comments were priceless!!!