Sanny

And the Prius up on blocks in the yard...

Well, it was time for a new refrigerator. Something pretty, and energy efficient. And with an ICE MAKER! Never had one of those, and don't bother with trays, because they're a pain and take up freezer space.

I measured where the frigerator goes, and did lots of research on what type and brand. I want a french door style!! Freezer on the bottom, double doors (with ice and water) on top.

Oooh, pretty!

It arrived on Saturday. RATS!! Forgot to measure the door between the dining room and kitchen. Ugh!! It's the same width as the refrigerator (with doors off)! Ok, not quite the same - 1/8 inch smaller. :(

Now there's a refrigerator in my dining room, until a friend can come and take the molding from around the doorway. :roll:

At least the frigerator isn't out on the front porch. I'd have to figure out how to park the Prius on blocks in the yard! :shock:

We have had the french door, freezer on the bottom model for about a year now. Overall we don't really like it. I doesn't have ice in the door, cause that took too much space out of the refer, but the biggest PIA is getting the ice out of the freezer and the 'full bin' wire rakes ice out of the bin and dumps into the bottom of the freezer when you pull out the slider to access the ice!! Bad design, yours will be better in that regard. Good luck with the 'remodel'! :lol:

Huh? No auto-magic ice maker' date=' and no trays either? What did you do?? Did you buy your ice, or live ice free all these years?[/quote']

I've been iceless, Firemonkey. Just water out of the tap. On some special occasions, I'd put a pitcher of water in the frigerator.

I doesn't have ice in the door' date=' cause that took too much space out of the refer... Good luck with the 'remodel'! :lol:[/quote']

I grew up with freezer on the bottom, so I'm used to the "dead zone" of lost things under the freezer baskets. Yup, PITA.

This is plenty roomy for me - even at only 33 inches wide (the one it replaced was 28 or 29 inches, I think).

The ice maker is not on the refrigerator shelf with a chute out the door. Some are like that. Those take up refrigerator AND door space. This ice maker takes up what would otherwise be door shelves on the left door.

Surprising, when I emptied the refrigerator, how much crap a refrigerator collects. Just how many open jars of apricot preserves does one home need? I discovered that most of my refrigerator items are actually baking things (nuts, grains, spices, baking chocolate). Imagine that. :)

I like having the refrigerator back up at eye level again, though. Since I moved into this house in 1993, I've had freezer on top. Freezer isn't what I use most often, so having it at eye level was a waste of prime real estate.

It sounds like you need to take this opportunity to clean house. Maybe some apricot bbq sauce over some roasted chicken? Or an apricot stuffing and/or glaze on a pork loin?? :o

Had I not washed all the "used" jams down the sink, that would be a great idea! It's clear, I haven't an appropriate cooker mentality. :( I should be banned from the forum as inadequate. Sad.

Re: Door

I was more thinking about a flex linear shape charge (Pentaerythritoltetranitrate).. Makes doorways to exacting specifications in milliseconds! No need to waste time ;)

Sanster' date=' do pry all that moulding off, I will let you borrow my door stretcher![/quote']

Sounds like something out of Roger Rabbit! Door stretcher?

Doesn't have anything to do with matches, or a wrecking ball, does it? :shock:

Re: And the Prius up on blocks in the yard...

RATS!! Forgot to measure the door between the dining room and kitchen.

I worked for a guy many years ago who was a successful businessman and quite a character. He tackled problems immediately and directly then moved on.

So when the new fridge showed up and wouldn't fit throught the door to the house, he told the delivery guys to hang on a moment, walked to the garage, returned with a chain-saw and proceeded to hack a hole in the side of the house right where the fridge needed to go.

They slid in the fridge while he rang his contractor to come fix the wall.

Not the safest or most efficient method, but he did get things done.

Re: And the Prius up on blocks in the yard...

RATS!! Forgot to measure the door between the dining room and kitchen.

I worked for a guy many years ago who was a successful businessman and quite a character. He tackled problems immediately and directly then moved on.

So when the new fridge showed up and wouldn't fit throught the door to the house, he told the delivery guys to hang on a moment, walked to the garage, returned with a chain-saw and proceeded to hack a hole in the side of the house right where the fridge needed to go.

They slid in the fridge while he rang his contractor to come fix the wall.

Not the safest or most efficient method, but he did get things done.

I may have been the delivery guy, because that happened to me about 35 years ago. He got the saw cut the hole the wall fell into the yard and he said it'll fit now slide it in there. Craziest thing i saw while delivering appliance's.