DennisLinkletter

E-Z Que Rotisserie

Video link dead..

The video and picture links are not showing up correctly on the first page' date=' can you update these?[/quote']

I'm sorry, those were posted what seems like a few lifetimes ago and were taken with my computer and hard drive that were stolen from my house last April. I have a new motor on order.. I'll get one up when it arrives..

Rotisserie Tweak

So we ordered the six inch rotisserie from Viking, and the OneGrill motor. When I went to install it, there was a bit of slippage on the rotation, fixed by a piece of 5/16" x 0.028 stainless steel tubing from the local hardware store:

25037_368908544975_588449975_4795586_5895189_n.jpg

25037_368908524975_588449975_4795585_3283011_n.jpg

The first picture shows what happens when I push the other end of the rotisserie all the way in, to prevent slippage. I have to hold the rotisserie by hand this way, not so practical with a live fire.

The second picture is my fix, using a piece of 5/16" x 0.028 stainless steel tube. In other words, with this tube I can push the other end of the rotisserie all the way in, insuring no slippage.

Just as any nearby discussion needs to mention flashback for newbies, let's throw in here that aluminum may or may not cause dementia (I don't recall) but galvanized metal is certainly poisonous, and has no place in a cooker. I made a point of finding steel tube for this reason.

I tried three tubes. The first was longer than the "OEM" part, and ended up too long. So I cut the second to match the "OEM" part. For the third I tried leaving room for the extra spring Dennis threw in, but the second was better.

Any ideas why my tolerances were off? I'm thinking Viking shaved a bit of metal off their bottom line? I measure 17 7/16" rim to rim for the rotisserie, what do other people get? Thanks.

(Can't have slippage. Ever seen Jiarby cook a chicken, with half lemons under the skin for breasts? Without an even tan that would be rather obscene.)

There has been a lot of chatter about the baskets slipping, but I thought it was the rod between the motor and grill getting disengaged. Yours looks like the inside is too short.

Are you sure the inside rod was causing your slip, and not the rob between the outside of the bushing and the motor?

viewtopic.php?t=1670&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Are you sure the inside rod was causing your slip' date=' and not the rob between the outside of the bushing and the motor? [/quote']

Well, I have recent parts from Dennis, which benefitted from that discussion. I still ended up tweaking that assembly too, till I was happy. Absent an explicit description of why I wouldn't want the outside and inside shafts to line up, I ignored what the manual said, and played with which side and how many washers till I liked the fit. Didn't think to mention this, as I was happy without a trip to the hardware store.

For the rotisserie itself, I watched it slip at one point in its rotation, say, six times. I then held the left end (no fire yet) so I could insert the right end more fully, and watched it not slip, say, six times. I went back to unattended position, and watched it slip at one point in its rotation, say, six times. I then held the left end (no fire yet) so I could insert the right end more fully, and watched it not slip, say, six times. I went back to unattended position, and watched it slip at one point in its rotation, say, six times. I then held the left end (no fire yet) so I could insert the right end more fully, and watched it not slip, say, six times.

(I know there are meds for this condition, but it helps my work.)

All the while I daydreamed about possible fixes, what parts I should bring with me to the hardware store, etc. My favorite version of this was a six hour stare in the early 90's at a workstation no one could fix, till I realized the case was imperceptibly warped, and that a tiny washer on one end would unflex the motherboard, keeping the memory in the opposite corner from imperceptibly unseating in use.

In any case, I'm glad I cut various lengths of steel tube when I had my tools out. I'm going to switch to the spring-loaded tube, as my first try slipped out in use. It rode on the nearby rim (no lost birds) but this would wear out the ledge over time.