For the rub:

1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup paprika

1/4 cup turbinado sugar

2 tablespoons salt

2 teaspoons dry mustard

1 teaspoon cayenne

For the pork:

6-pound to 8-pound pork shoulder (Boston butt)

For the mopping sauce (optional):

Leftover rub

2 cups cider vinegar

3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons salt

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon paprika

1 tablespoon cayenne

The night before you plan to barbecue, combine rub ingredients in a small bowl. Massage pork well with about half of the rub. Transfer pork to a plastic bag, and refrigerate it overnight. Store rest of rub in a covered container at room temperature.

Before you begin to barbecue, remove pork from refrigerator. Pat down meat with another coating of rub. Let the pork sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes.

Prepare smoker for barbecuing according to manufacturer's instructions, bringing temperature to 220 to 250 degrees.

If you plan to baste the pork, stir any remaining rub together with mop ingredients and 1 cup water in a saucepan and warm the mixture over low heat.

Transfer pork to the smoker and cook for about 1 1/2 hours per pound, or until it's falling-apart tender. The internal temperature of the meat should reach about 190 degrees. Mop the pork about once an hour in a wood-burning pit, or as appropriate for your style of smoker.

Remove pork from smoker, wrap in foil and let it sit for about 15 minutes, until cool enough to handle. Pull off chunks of the meat, and either shred or chop them as you wish. Make sure each serving has some of the darker, chewier Mr. Brown crust along with the lighter interior meat. If you wish, serve the barbecue sauce of your choice.

Per serving: (based on 10 servings) 33 calories, 44g protein, 7g fat ( 0g saturated), 11g carbohydrate, 252mg sodium, 20mg cholesterol, 1g dietary fiber. This is all false but will make ya all feel better!

Tidewater coleslaw

Makes about 4 cups

1 1/2 cups Best foods/Helmans mayonnaise

1/2 cup white vinegar

1/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon celery seed

Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste

1 small head green cabbage, finely shredded

2 carrots, finely grated

In a small bowl, blend mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, celery seed, and salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.

In a large bowl, combine cabbage and carrots. Pour dressing over mixture and blend well. Refrigerate until serving time.

Per serving: ( 1/2 cup) 61 calories, 82g protein, 3g fat ( 0g saturated), 17g carbohydrate, 58mg sodium, 4mg cholesterol, 38g dietary fiber. This too is all false but will also make ya all feel better!

Lexington vinegar sauce

Makes about 3 1/2 cups

2 1/2 cups cider vinegar

1/2 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon hot sauce (preferably Crystal brand)

4 teaspoons salt

4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon white pepper

1 1/2 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue rub

Combine vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, hot sauce, salt, hot red pepper flakes, black pepper, white pepper and rub in a large non-reactive bowl with 1/2 cup of water. Whisk until sugar and salt dissolve. Alternatively, place ingredients in a large jar and shake to mix.

The sauce will keep for several weeks stored in a jar in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before using.

Per serving: ( 1/4 cup) 28 calories, 0g protein, 0g fat ( 0g saturated), 8g carbohydrate, 887mg sodium, 0mg cholesterol, 0g dietary fiber. This is true.... just a bit salty!

The lexington vinegar is that something you pour on the pulled pork sandwich?

Yup, it's wonderful!

There are two sauces in Dennis's post. One is an "on the grill" mop. Tastes great! Not really necessary on a ceramic cooker, because the meat stays so moist anyway. YMMV.

The other is a sauce to spoon/squirt/pour on the sandwich. I served it a couple weeks ago. The guys swarmed to the vinegar sauce. I highly recommend it!

Tasted great, Saucy! But it's definitely a vinegar sauce. So, the eater will have to like vinegar (and pepper). It's thin, too. Not stick on, the way raspberry or other more traditional "bottle" sauces are.

I liked it. :)

I gave my people a choice of the thicker raspberry chipotle (thick, and VERY yummy), or vinegar. As I said, the men swarmed the vinegar. No comments, but swarming. And back for seconds and thirds with more swarming around the vinegar. :wink:

The women raved about the sweet (then HOT) of the raspberry. We had one coward, who went with the bottle of Bull's Eye from the grocery store. :roll:

the vinegar sauce is by far my favorite for pull. the fact that it's thin really works for it, b/c the sauce seeps down into the whole pile of pull that you have on your bun, instead of just sitting on top like a thick finishing sauce.

the real benefit is that the vinegar sauce really accents the natural flavor of good pull! brings out the smokiness and the flavor of the pork fat. pull can have kind of a muted flavor with the thick tomato-based sauce, just because it, along with the pork fat, coats the tongue. the vinegar breaks up the pork fat, so that it doesn't coat your tongue, so you get to taste it all.

i usually offer both when i prepare pull. some folks just dont like vinegar, and some are just trained to think "the thicker and sweeter, the better" when it comes to "bbq sauce".

also also, make extra of that vinegar sauce and, when you pull your butts, dump in a bunch of it along with some of your rub. just enough so that your pull will soak it in, but not enough to pool at the bottom of the "vessel" you are pullling your pork in. no one, even anti-vinegar types, will notice it, except that it will keep the pork nice and moist, and bring out all the flavors.

:twocents:

vinegar is too thin for ribs, so it'd run off. b/c pulled pork is shredded meat, the fibers kinda hold it in. with ribs, having a thick sauce to dip into sticks better on the meat. plus, if you are basting with a finishing sauce a few (only a few!) minutes b4 pulling off the cooker, it sets up like a glaze, whereas a vinegar based sauce will not. altho, that vinegar sauce also makes a nice mop (if you are into that...) for ribs; just not the best finishing/table sauce.