Fetzervalve

A one trick pony?

I agree it's corny and I would never buy one but I bet after a while you could make some killer pizza with that thing.

I have to defend WS though. Their prices are INSANE however their customer service is beyond reproach. I have bought some stuff I Wasn;t happy with and they definitely made it right.

I like the place. I'd like it a lot more if I won the lottery though :)

Having lived in Europe for many years, and having eaten out of many bee-hive ovens, from resturants to fests to back yards. I seriously doubt from a K perspective I could ever really re-create the same. At least I haven't been able to yet.

What they can do in a few minutes with that oven, takes me quite a bit longer and lots more effort. It's like using a specialty tool in place of a multi-tool. If you do pizza often enough, specifically looking for wood fired oven (bee hive) pizza, you may want one. In fact, I'm thinking of building one to go along with my K. Just another toy, you know. Why not? :D

In fact' date=' I'm thinking of building one to go along with my K. Just another toy, you know. Why not? :D[/quote']

Well, you are almost there! Take the dome off of that busted up POSK you showed us pictures of, cut an opening in the front, and set it on a concrete base :P

Its just the right size and shape, and the damper top will rust solid soon enough. ;)

If you do pizza often enough' date=' specifically looking for wood fired oven (bee hive) pizza, you may want one. [/quote']I've never had a pizza from one, nor have I lived in Europe. I can't imagine a pizza could be enough better than what I get from my KK to come close to justifying that price, $200 ::maybe::. :shock:

I'm sure there of those that would make the same argument about spending $3000 on a grill (KK) when they can't imaginge food being enough better than they get from their Weber Kettle to justify the price.

Don't get me wrong, I own a KK, but I'm just sayin'...

I've never had a pizza from one' date=' nor have I lived in Europe. I can't imagine a pizza could be enough better than what I get from my KK to come close to justifying that price, $200 ::maybe::. :shock:[/quote']

I could see how this design could be better for pizza than even a KK depending on what you like. By having an open area this would allow for more air circulation, something the KK tries to prevent because for low-and-slows you'd want to trap as much moisture in as possible. This circulation should dry out the crust a bit more and make it nice and crispy. If you're not from Italy or NJ you may not want that sort of crust and prefer a more bready texture where the KK could be a boon. And, of course, unless we can get a side-by-side taste test this is all theory. :)

Is it worth $2000? Since it's much more limited than a KK (and not as nice looking to boot) I don't think so. Could you do the same thing with a KK? I think you could come pretty close by cracking the lid open a bit.

Could you do the same thing with a KK? I think you could come pretty close by cracking the lid open a bit.
I really don't think airflow or moisture retention is a problem @ pizza temps. I typically have the lower wheel wide open and the door pulled out with about 2 inches between the door and body. The top is up a couple inches, overall a very high-flow, low moisture environment.

I would be afraid to crack the lid, as the flames may want to come through the opening and make things interesting.