DennisLinkletter

Wagyu - Wanna be Redux

I was doing my typical meat display browsing when I came across these babies labled Australian Wagu.

They of course are very marbled but not to the extent or the small pinpoint marbling of quality Wagyu..

But at $19 lb it was not priced like quality Wagyu either. They were cut thin but who was I to complain. I grabbed the two largest ones and walked away for only $16.80 I was very pleased with myself and felt like something great was about to happen.

I very lightly sprinkled them with my Copycat Lawry's Seasoned Salt

Ingredients

2 tablespoons salt

2 teaspoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon turmeric

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon cornstarch

17.jpg

Cranked it up to about 550º and hit each side for about 30 sec.. the photo side I also turned at hit for 5 sec on the outer part of the grill where I had not had them earlier to get the hatch pattern.. Probably should not have done that as they were so thin.. but they were still rare but could have been more rare for this cut type of meat..

20.jpg

No complaints.. they were wonderful and the fat had great flavor.. You could feel the fat/oil squirt out thru your teeth when you bit down on it.. My son asked why we don't always eat this kind of meat. He's now a big fan.

22.jpg

YUM! Your son is right' date=' once Wagyu, always Wagyu. I don't think it's worth it for all beef, but rib, strip & centercut sirloin steaks are sublime. Actually so are burgers. Learned something, too. Just read you sear Wagyu at a lower temp than other beef. I was originally doing 800, but now I'll sear lower.[/quote']

I always sear thin cuts at high heat, usually 800 or higher. This way you get good browning but the heat doesn't have time to penetrate and cook the interior. Usually works best for me. If you go lower, then you need to keep it on the grill longer to get good browning and that can lead to overcooked meat. I also like to rub an oil that has a high smoke point on the meat. This will enable good heat transfer which will aid in browning.

Overcooked Wagyu is a tragedy! Great job Dennis and even a better price.

Had to go back and pick up the last two..

Had to go back and pick up the last two.. These two were not the same quality as the first ones but the price was still right.

Same routine, but only salt and ground fresh pepper. Added some grilled bell peppers and greens.. No complaints this time either..

BellSteakk.jpg

BellSteak2.jpg

Pretty in Pink

BellSteak.jpg

Here are the promised ribeye photos, not Wagyu, only lowly USDA Prime.

Pq1SRT4i.jpg

Pq1SRY3A.jpg

aV1RK0q9.jpg

I think that animal ate pretty well. A little heavy on the solid sections of fat, but the intramuscular fat looks nice. Have to grill them some other night, ribs tonight and Brats and beer at Oktoberfest tomorrow night. Guess who gets to work a double shift on security!!!

Re: Nice marbling!

Nice marbling!

Ribeye is by far my favorite classic "steak" cut. I also love skirt steak (completely underappreciated) and hanger steak (those who appreciate it lock up the supply, not that easy to find).

Couldn't agree with you more on the skirt steak.....love it. But will pass on the hanging steak. Just in principal alone, not gonna touch it...literally. :blah5:

-=Jasen=-