cruzmisl

New roti mod.....

Hi,

I recently fell back in love with my rotisserie and after some trial and error and advice from other members I finally have a perfect solution.

In the standard set up the coals are directly below the food on the roti. This isn't a bad thing until fat starts to drip off and then smoke which taints the flavor of the food. I used to pile the coals on the backside of the cooker but that was a PITA. I then bought some Weber charcoal baskets and tried those. REALLY nice but they were unstable so I welded them together. Well, actually I pimped a friend to weld them together. Anyway, it's super stable, no smoke and an easy mod. You can put a drip tray below but I just let the ash in the bottom of the cooker collect the grease which may or may not be a good idea.

Anyway I thought I'd share. Total investment was less than $50.

Joe

roti.jpg

The real question is, how do you keep the cradle from wobbling or the shafts from slipping? get my replacement I can use the roti that night?

the only way to stop the slipping is getting a bigger shaft for the motor and having it narrow to fit the K---this was talked about before, can't remember when---I believe Dennis was going to send out new ones with the polder plugs

I just bought a new 5/16" + stainless shaft from Grainger, about 7 bucks. The fit was precise in the motor, but probably 1/32" to large for the socket in the KK. I just ground it down to fit, no wobble now from the motor, but a slightly perceptible wobble from the basket shaft inside the KK. I don't have a lathe(love to get one) and as such can't fabricate a duplicate shaft for the basket. I also think I may have come up with a very simple solution for preventing the thin steel motor mount fronm flexing during the cooking duration. I made a small slip on clamp from some 1/8" aluminum stock that was leftover:

Sorry about the poor photo quality, all I had was my phone!

this is the steel shaft material--extra in case I F**** (mess)it up

aV4o5ni.jpg

this is the clamp I made, it's only about .5" wide, just wide enough to fit between the acorn nuts, and it's aluminum so it shouldn't scratch the stainless mounting plate on the body of the KK.

Pq4n0PS.jpg

aV4oamA.jpg

Pq4n5P9.jpg

This is the first one I made, it was too wide and could only fit on one side of the motor mount, the final version is thin enough to slip between the two acorn nuts, and will still allow the lid to close

gx3RG0i.jpg

aV4okl9.jpg

Re: Stonger brackets?

Are the currently shipping units being shipped with a thicker / stronger bracket, or still the same ones that flex?

Whats the status of the new shafts?

I have been shipping with a larger gauge bracket for some time now. I believe that I've sent out new shafts to all Email requests I've received.

The real question is, how do you keep the cradle from wobbling or the shafts from slipping? Especially the 8" cradle that I talked everyone into buying. Is there a definitive answer so when I get my replacement I can use the roti that night?

Looks like a good set-up, make sure you use it a few times in case you need to tell me the tweeks before I use mine!

To ease all fears.. the new bracket and larger shafts eliminate these problems..

Jackie had a pretty much isolated problem where the socket was improperly machined..

;);)

I actually think the mounting bracket will work for me,maybe because I am not using an EzQue motor. The flex in the bracket allows me to pull out on the bracket enough to allow the shaft to insert itself easy enough in either the KK socket or the motor socket. At any rate the rotis is working just fine now--next cook will probably be a duck. Welcome back D, don't you just love the fan mail you've received while you've been away?!