Jackie from Jersey

Roti help

Jackie,

You can clip the Guru probe to the thermometer shaft in the lid.

Regarding the Weber lump holders for roti use http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7403-Char-B ... 016&sr=8-5 maybe everyone already does this, but if you turn your lump basket so the handles run left-right you can put those baskets behind the handles and it works great. They are very inexpensive and should solve your problem.

I think DJ had reported a conflict between the HD and the roti basket of certain versions of the GenII. I think Dennis has shortened the handles to eliminate that conflict (I understand that won't help you)

Roti Chicken

Well first of all there is no reason to have the lower grill in place while using the roti. Jackie has the new Gen 2.2 with both the lower firebox and basket. There is plenty of room down there for the heat deflector and drip pan even spinning a turkey..

Also no reason to use the Guru on roti cooks.. Can't use the meat probe so there is no real advantage. Trust me it's easy to manually control this kind of cook, it's only a few hours.

I'd recommend dropping your temps to 235-250º and cookin' longer. I always start indirect to melt off the fat and then go direct after a few hours at 325-350º to brown/crispin up the skin.

Jackie, what was causing the black smoke; do you know?

Maybe you need a larger drip pan. I suspect juices were dripping on hot coals, burning, causing soot.

But then that doesn't make sense if reading the other recent post about roti chicken being better with "NO" deflector/drip pan. Believe it was a tailgate roti setup that started the discussion.

Just want to add that poultry dripping over the fire does not cause soot nor does it make a nasty tasting smoke. In the south, direct is the most common way chicken is cooked on a grill and I have never heard anyone complain about that. Always been my favorite way too (spatchcocked direct or just halved). Even drilled holes in one of my heat deflectors so that when I am not cooking direct, I could get some direct and indirect (some heat can come through and those drippings could hit the fire).

Also Jackie, if you do want to use your Guru, it is simple to make a connection point by running just your pit probe in through the hole, then bend a coat hanger to fit in the hole. I used a welding rod, but serves the same purpose. Run the hanger level with the rotis so it will be accurate with the temp at meat level. I have a pic somewhere on the forum. You could clip to your dome temp gauge, but there will be an offset on the temps.

-=Jasen=-

WHen I do my Roti chicken, I just use the Walmart Royal Oak, heat deflector directly above the coals. I took it around 425 to 450. The only smoke I get is what burns off of the heat deflector, which isn't much.

Here are some pics of one I did awhile ago. I tried just using a bread pan to catch the drippings. I think the heat deflector works better.

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2439&sid=6990446e88f50dccc24ea77b4d8c507b

DJ, could the soot have not been soot, but possibly ash.

I'm thinking of ash going airborn when hit with water, like distinguishing a campfire. Could dripping grease cause the same thing to happen, getting ash all over the food.

Just a thought. Can't imagine where soot would come from either.

And I "respectfully" disagree about the foul taste when cooking chicken 350ish without heat deflector/drip pan in a closed dome. Can't prove it, but I do taste a ugly burnt grease/fat taste IMHO. Open dome, different story, can't tell you why.

DJ, could the soot have not been soot, but possibly ash.

I'm thinking of ash going airborn when hit with water, like distinguishing a campfire. Could dripping grease cause the same thing to happen, getting ash all over the food.

Just a thought. Can't imagine where soot would come from either.

And I "respectfully" disagree about the foul taste when cooking chicken 350ish without heat deflector/drip pan in a closed dome. Can't prove it, but I do taste a ugly burnt grease/fat taste IMHO. Open dome, different story, can't tell you why.

Maybe some ash, but think of everything we do cook direct. We don't have an ash issue every time we cook a steak or pork chop and there is plenty of drippings. Only time a see a lot of ash is if you pour on a mop liquid.

Everyone has their rights to an opinion, but some folks have stated that like it is a fact. I don't want people whom have never tried it to avoid it because of that opinion. Just the other day Cozy posted how much he loved the chicken dripping on the coals now that he tried it. But I would avoid 400 direct in the rotis, simply due to burning up the bird before it is cooked. Direct should be lower temps unless you have plenty of distance from fire.

viewtopic.php?t=2747

-=Jasen=-