maherussell

Wood species

Since I am living in the tropics, I do not have access to common wood we normally have in the states. I recently cut a few large branches of a mango tree and started drying them to use for future smoking wood. I then found out on the internet, mango wood is toxic. I would have never thought that of a fruit wood, especially since mangoes are so sweet. I then wondered about other fruit woods except coconut which I know is not toxic. However I Googled and cannot find any reference to that or any other tropical wood (other than mango) that is toxic. Anyone know where I can get a reference?

Interesting question. I found a place in Hawaii selling Guava and Kiawe (a tropical flavor of mesquite). Pimento apparently is also a tropical wood suitable for smoking. Most fruit trees seem to be OK, but as you've found out it may be wise to do a little research before you try anything. Some people use non-wood items as well, herbs, grape vines and corn cobs seem possible if those are easier to obtain.

Unfortunately, Lychees and Rambutan do not grow here as Durian also. I will check out the Guava as there is plenty of that here. We have a tropical golden apple which is not anything like a regular apple, but sweet when ripe. There are a few other fruit trees, but no information about using them in a Q. It is really frustrating, as I know Q-baby is on the water on the way for delivery and I want a really special first cook.

Apparently Mahe is overrun with cinnamon trees, that may be an interesting wood to try to smoke. As well as coffee and tea which are apparently also local. This is an interesting chart, it also includes flavors and some things NOT to smoke (mango isn't listed, though). Some of the items listed aren't so much wood as they are shells, pistachio shells in particular popped out at me as something interesting to try. If you've got any food waste products that look burnable it may be worth looking into.

There is a wood here in the Seychelles the call Sed (nothing to do with Unix).

Anyway the tree looks like a type of fir tree. It is used here exclusively for making lump coal. I could not get an odor from the pine like leaves. The roots are very shallow and during high winds, can easily be blown over. Normally I see them in a sandy soil. Anyway I tried some dried for smoking and it was not bad at all. I have to get in touch with a botanist here and find out what the generic name is.

I said I would not post a picture with my first cook. It was not a good cook. My third cook was good though. I am flying blind still but my thermometer should arrive soon.

How do you get a Digi-Q for the KK? The KK is not listed on the site and they have not replied to my query.

Digi-Q for KK

So I like the guys at BBQ Guru and will help them out on this one...

First, the best way to contact the folks at the BBQ Guru is to call. Ask for Shotgun Fred or BBQ Bob. I typically deal with Bob. You can contact them here: 1-800-288-GURU (4878)

The BBQ Guru

357 Ivyland Road

Warminster, PA 18974-2205

Email: [email protected]

Or, just order what you want. They ship worldwide so that should not be an issue. Here is a link to the inducer tube that will work on your KK:

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCar ... roduct=207

Now, simply order your DigiQ II or whichever powerdraft control that you like best and you will be all set!

Gotta wait until April now. However it will be done first week of April. It just costs so much to get things here and DHL is not cheap. I don't want to over extend myself.

In the meanwhile, I am sucking up everything I can off the forum about the Digi-Q and the EZQue rotisserie. Decided to order everything at once to save on shipping charges.

The hard part is holding off everyone that wants to taste the goods that can be Q'd. They can just drool and a wait until I am ready.