DennisLinkletter

Tinkering again? Yes back at it..

BBQ Guru Mods..

I just can't stop myself.. What can I do?

Although I announced the Gen 2.2 to be a finished product I've been forced to eat my words and add and mod a lil' bit.

First of all, I've decided to ship with a factory built-in Guru inducer tube. This will be much more slick and absolutely plug and play. Now the question is should it be flush or stick out just a lil' bit?

Out a bit..

Guru8.jpg

Or Flush?

Guru9.jpg

And then a up front place to hang your Digi Q

1A-guru.jpg

Call me a traditionalist - I like the guru port out just a bit. Also, it can't hurt to have the fan just a bit further away from the fire, right?

Love the guru hanger! If you don't have a guru, maybe Dennis can manufacture an option that will attach to the hanger and provide a place to hang other tools like the Grill Floss or other BBQ toys/tools??

I like this simple up front mount.

Flush mount....absolutely. Especially since quite a few people will not use them. No point in drawing more attention to them by having them stick out.-=Jasen=-

Good Point, I really liked the flush mount on yours.

Nice touch adding the DigiQ mount, but how about a hanging mount using existing bolts? That way it is removable.

-=Jasen=-

It comes with a bracket doesn't it? But if you have side tables on you loose the place. I like this simple up front mount.

I agree that flush is best. My kill plug was just a bit loose and kept falling out even without a pulse of air, so I used a #7 stopper.

I wrote BBQ guru and asked if they'd had a batch of kill plugs come in undersized, and they sent me a different design that fits tightly. It was longer and is designed to act as a damper if it is pulled out partly.

Mike

I wrote BBQ guru and asked if they'd had a batch of kill plugs come in undersized, and they sent me a different design that fits tightly. It was longer and is designed to act as a damper if it is pulled out partly.

Mike

I sent them a similar note, and didn't even score a reply! Perhaps I'll try again...

Fetz, they respond much better if you call.

-=Jasen=-

For those interested the Stoker bulkhead adapter outside diameter measures 1.25" however there is a retaining clip that extends to 1.4". This clip can compress significantly and can easily be removed if needed. I'm hoping that the inside diameter of the Guru inducer tube measures between 1.3" and 1.4" so it can be a universal solution, otherwise I'm sure Rock can easily find a slightly smaller bulkhead adapter. Since it would make it easy for Guru users to upgrade ( :D ) to a Stoker without investing in a new blower mounting scheme I'm sure Rock would see a business case.

Yes, That looks like what they sent me.

The original kill plug was a veyr short grey cap with not much lip, which didn't hang in the tube very well. This is a firmer material and is quite a bit longer.

I got a very nice response and quick turnaround from my email to them. The person who took care of me was Sarah.

Mike

Re: I like this simple up front mount.

Nice touch adding the DigiQ mount, but how about a hanging mount using existing bolts? That way it is removable.

-=Jasen=-

It comes with a bracket doesn't it? But if you have side tables on you loose the place. I like this simple up front mount.

Actually, if you have a side table, you really would not need a mount. But the mount that comes with the Guru needs to be heavily modified to mate up with your side table bolts (and then looks less than desirable). Maybe it is just me, but the fewer permanently installed gadgets on the grill, the better. There is a good chance that Guru could change their mount style in the next few years too. Not to mention, unless it serves another purpose, people without the Guru would find it useless.

My vote would be for a bolt on Guru controller mount. It could hang below the bolts for a normal install or reverse to be above the bolts for a side table installed mount (if desired). And since it is removable, it can be replaced if a new mount type comes out or you decide to scrap your Guru.

-=Jasen=-

Not to mention' date=' unless it serves another purpose, people without the Guru would find it useless[/quote']

Agreed. I would prefer not to have the SS keyholes in the side of the grill. Even if I did have a guru, it would only be attached occasionally, and the holes are just someplace for bugs to try and build a nest.

And what if you want a stoker instead, you have the guru mount staring you in the face anyway?

If you really insist on using the guru mounts on the front of the grill, how about having a simple S/S tool caddy that hangs on it. Something simple like a flat piece in the back and 3 hooks attached. Then the people who have a guru can opt to use it or not, and EVERYONE has a useful improvement?

And what if you want a stoker instead' date=' you have the guru mount staring you in the face anyway?[/quote']

Nah, Stoker users are smart enough to be able to modify the Stoker mounts to get it to work - you have to design to the lowest common denominator :)

If you really insist on using the guru mounts on the front of the grill' date=' how about having a simple S/S tool caddy that hangs on it. [/quote']

I was actually thinking the same thing. Not that critical for me since I just roll out my BBQ cart, but the hooks could hold anything.

And what if you want a stoker instead' date=' you have the guru mount staring you in the face anyway?[/quote']

Nah, Stoker users are smart enough to be able to modify the Stoker mounts to get it to work - you have to design to the lowest common denominator :)

Guess since the Stoker is a huge hideous box already, there really isn't much you can do to make it look any worse. hehe :roll: But for those of us who like the sleek styling of our Guru, a nice looking proper mount is in order. ;) Of course, all of this is moot point, as I mainly use my Procom which mounts nicely right on the fan housing.

-=Jasen=-

If you really insist on using the guru mounts on the front of the grill' date=' how about having a simple S/S tool caddy that hangs on it. Something simple like a flat piece in the back and 3 hooks attached. Then the people who have a guru can opt to use it or not, and EVERYONE has a useful improvement?[/quote']BINGO - took the thought right out of my head flaming primate! Many accessories could be made to hang from that mount.

If you really insist on using the guru mounts on the front of the grill' date=' how about having a simple S/S tool caddy that hangs on it. Something simple like a flat piece in the back and 3 hooks attached. Then the people who have a guru can opt to use it or not, and EVERYONE has a useful improvement?[/quote']BINGO - took the thought right out of my head flaming primate! Many accessories could be made to hang from that mount.

And that would be an easy enough bracket to make for hanging on the side table bolts. Do you really want or need another SS plate on the grill to detract from its tiled exterior. Seems to me that we have those big side table bolts on both sides of the grill which most people will never use (except for the rotis mount). Why not make use of what you have instead of adding more SS plates.

Also curious about how the Guru mount pictured above is attached to the grill. If it is held on like the tiles, then too much weight hanging on it may cause it to pop off. Where as the side table bolts are welded to the inner metal ring.

-=Jasen=-