Fuel: Cowboy

Smoke: None

Method: Direct, Lower Grill

Rotisserie: No

Pit Temp: 450-550

Pull Temp: 135

Time: About 40 minutes

Draft Control: Manual

I found a pre-marinaded Tri-Tip at Costco so I figured I'd give it a shot. Building a high temp fire at night really shows an impressive glow from underneath the KK:

nighttimehitemp1174813xj4.jpg

I also experimented with some HDR photography. I used my tripod (a nice Gitzo CF model with a Markins M20 head) and took one picture exposing for the flames which left the meat very dark, then I took another and popped the flash which muted the inferno in the KK but showed the meat nicely. Then I combined them in post:

tritipcombined1131730pm3.jpg

The results were tender and juicy with a strong beefy flavor to it, but next time around I may add a rub to the meat. I ended up measuring the temps at the thin end of the cut which made the part we ate fresh from the grill a perfect temperature but left the rest of the meat slightly underdone so it should be perfect when reheated.

finishedtritip1219044dm8.jpg

All-in-all it's not my favorite cut of meat from a texture standpoint but it was still very good. I also need to bring in my tripod for the finished shots, there's not much in focus handheld at F1.4 :)

The marinade may have played a factor. I tend to like my steaks buttery-smooth (fillet mignon, prime rib) or firm and seasoned like a sirloin with a nice rub. The tri-tip was kind of a combination of the two, not quite tender and not quite firm. Rather than being "steaky" with a more uniform consistency it was more clear I was eating a muscle - if that makes any sense. I think it would have been a bit better had I let it cook a little longer and gotten it more on the medium side of medium rare. I'm certainly open to trying another one as a change of pace and next time maybe I'll try to find one that hasn't been marinaded to compare.

The marinade may have played a factor. I tend to like my steaks buttery-smooth (fillet mignon' date=' prime rib) or firm and seasoned like a sirloin with a nice rub. The tri-tip was kind of a combination of the two, not quite tender and not quite firm. Rather than being "steaky" with a more uniform consistency it was more clear I was eating a muscle - if that makes any sense. I think it would have been a bit better had I let it cook a little longer and gotten it more on the medium side of medium rare. I'm certainly open to trying another one as a change of pace and next time maybe I'll try to find one that hasn't been marinaded to compare.[/quote']

Maybe try cutting it London broil style on the bias before serving. I love flat iron steaks, but to me, it tastes totally different if it is not cut on the bias (maybe the same applies to tri-tip). I guess breaking those muscle fibers really changes the texture.

BTW, love that flame/steak pic. You got that pic I have wanted for a long time. I am just not camera savvy enough.

-=Jasen=-

Re: First Tri-Tip

Meat: Morton's of Omaha Tri-Tip from Costco

Brine: Pre-marinaded with papaya enzymes among other things

Fuel: Cowboy

Smoke: None

Method: Direct, Lower Grill

Rotisserie: No

Pit Temp: 450-550

Pull Temp: 135

Time: About 1 hour

Draft Control: Manual

)

One of my most disappointing cooks was a Market=Marinated Tri Tip. After consistently cooking great Tri Tips, they had become my cut while in CA guaranteed to convert anybody to charcoal cooking. The marinade also gave the meat a slippery feel.. I did not even want to eat it..

I'd like to highlight what DJ said about cutting it across the grain...

Your 1 hour, direct, lower grill at 450-550º sounds like a long time that hot so low.. I don't think I've ever cooked anything 1 hour direct on the lower grill. Was it very cold going in?

My tri tip was very rare and was great..

TriTip.jpg

Don't give up on this cut.. I think it's still my favorite.

Maybe try cutting it London broil style on the bias before serving. I love flat iron steaks, but to me, it tastes totally different if it is not cut on the bias (maybe the same applies to tri-tip). I guess breaking those muscle fibers really changes the texture.

-=Jasen=-

The 1 hour was from memory (a few days after the fact) I took a look at the timestamps of some pictures and it looks like it was 42 minutes from the time I put the steak on the grill to the time it came off, that includes the time it would have taken for the grill to get back up to temp once I closed the lid. Temp going on was slightly above fridge temps, maybe 40-45F or so. I'll try a non-marinaded version next time and I may try slicing it before cooking.

Good idea about some size indication on the cut, I'll have to add that next time.

For the picture details here's what I did. First set up a tripod or another fixed support, you'll want two or more pictures with exactly the same framing. Take one picture exposing for the flames, most cameras will do this automatically if you disable the flash. Then take one exposing for the meat, again the easiest way may be just to enable the flash. For those of you with cameras that support it you can also look into something called "spot metering" - I may explore that option the next time around but I was getting hungry. :) You can also just adjust the exposure or use something called "bracketing" which will take a sequence of shots from underexposed through overexposed.

I used Photoshop CS3 Extended but I'm sure many other (cheaper!) programs that support layers have similar functions. Load the shot exposed for the flames into the program. Then load the shot exposed for the meat. Use the Lasso tool on the meat shot to select just the meat, get close to the edges of the meat but it's not critical to be 100% exact. Copy the meat and paste it into the shot exposed for the flames. This should appear as another layer and it will have a weird look to it as it'll be a sharp cutoff between the two images. Adjust the layer's opacity until you get the look you want, this will allow the edges to blur together and help the layers to blend properly. In this image I used about 67% opacity.

Salvaging or Sacrilege?

Is the answer to cook it until med-rare to med instead of my normal bloody rare meat?

I found the ends of the cut much better than the more rare center of the cut - I would say erring on the side of medium would be a big benefit.

I have to confess, my wife wanted chili and the leftover tri-tip was diced, lightly pan fried with garlic and ground beef, and dumped into the chili pot with the rest of the ingredients. It adds a very nice flavor to the chili and being more well done (as well as diced) takes care of my texture issues. So is this an acceptable use for the cut or a sin tantamount to ketchup on a fillet mignon? :)