Firemonkey

Calzones on a pizza stone prototype

P14P3

Now I have the pizza stone from Lodge, I should do some high temp pizzas and maybe clear out some of that tar!!

You should go over to Amazon and read some of those reviews on this thing, people think it is the best dang pizza "stone" they have ever used. Can't wait to try it.

Lodge Logic

Got my Lodge pizza pan out there coking some bacon to finish off the seasoning. Apparently the Lodge Logic pre-seasoned items are actually about 2/3 seasoned and need one greasy cook to finish it off. Plus it's my pastured hog bacon! This pan is just the right size to also act as a perfect heat deflector.

I use my cast iron skillet for deep dish pizza at ~500F, I'd imagine that it should work just fine as a stone. Of course, I do plenty of mid-temperature stuff in it between pizzas which help maintain the seasoning and I do rub a coating of olive oil on it before use (and after washing). What I'm uncertain about is whether it would retain heat as well as a stone, it may cause a searing effect (quickly cooking the outer surface of the pizza) and then cool off significantly producing a different texture to the crust, but that may be the texture you're looking for anyway. :)

Re: Calzones on a pizza stone prototype

I have and use these all the time for in house oven pizza baking https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/ ... oduct=3984 - Lodge Pro Logic Baking Pan    Part#: P14P3

We also have this i use for deep dish pizza

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/ ... oduct=3931 - Lodge Logic 17" Skillet     Part#: L17SK3

I bought them from Amazon have been happy with the results. Thinking now i will try using them on our KK.

We had our first pizza stone cook last night they was good but it was our first time using a stone it definetly looks used now as they stuck. Does the pizza stones need to be seasoned? I bake my bread in a stone dish i use olive oil to coat it each time (i don't need to but i do) and i never wash it. It is well seasoned the bread just pops out so do the stones need to be greased down to start a seasoning process. Is the stone suppose to to smooth shiny? Ours has several rough pitted areas on it the outside edges are so smooth and shinny like. The pizza did not stick to the the shiny areas but it did on the rough. I had to use a razor blade to clean off the burnt stuff. I just never owned a pizza stone before so really dont know how they look or bake.