kravnh

BBQ Guru Inducer tube: Which One, if any?

I have a BBQGuru Competitor, with the 10 CFM fan. Can I plug the fan directly into the Guru port on my KK, or do I need to purchase an inducer tube? And if I DO need to purchase an inducer tube, which one do I need?

The Stumps Adaptor is long enough, but would need silicone to seal it up. The Bulkhead Style Inducer seems like a cleaner install, as it is threaded, but wouldn't it stick out of the side of the KK?

What have others here used? Are there any pics?

Thanks for your help.

Keith

Cape Coral FL / Stratham, NH

Hi Keith - You will need an inducer tube. The hole on the KK was designed such that it would accommodate an inducer tube for the BBQGuru guys or from Rock's BBQ (Stoker). The choice of which inducer tube for the Guru is really one of personal preference. I like the bulkhead style inducer tube. Yes, it does stick out a bit but it is not unsightly in the lease. Here's a pic of the Black Pearls in Hawaii: http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV53x7r They have the same tube as many of us on the board. Installation is easy as it is all simple hardware and no use of glues or silicone.

Aesthetically, you may prefer the "flush" look. Then you will need the shorter stumps tube and silicone it into place. Here is a link from Dennis on having the tube flush mount: http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... ight=flush

Hope this helps!

I have the Digi 11 with the long inducer tube---I pushed it in to have a flush look from the outside---I have never used it yet--now I'm thinking, maybe i shouldn't have left it looking flush--I'm thinking with it sticking into the ash pit so far will it blow ashes all over :oops:

Hi Duk - I wouldn't sweat it until you try it. Let's not forget that between the ash pit and your food is a considerable pile of lump charcoal! :D That should help to eliminate much (if any) ash from flyin' around in your cooking zone.

If you do find that you have some ash blowing around, reposition the tube. If you secured it with standard silicone it should not be too bad to (carefully!) twist free from the inside?

Cook with it first and make sure you have something to fix before you fix something that ain't broke! :lol::lol:

kill plug

How do you plug the port in your KK when you pull the Stoker out? The kill plug from the BBQ Guru is not designed for this application. You should not just leave the Stoker in there all the time because it's not waterproof. Which kind of ticks me off. I'm going to make up a little waterproof sleeve or box so you can run the Stoker fan in the rain.

tube. If you secured it with standard silicone it should not be too bad to (carefully!) twist free from the inside?

Cook with it first and make sure you have something to fix before you fix something that ain't broke! :lol::lol:

Thanks for the info I'll just wait and see if I have to worry :lol::lol:

I'll post a word of caution here - I siliconed the short inducer tube in using the copper colored "ultra high temperature" silicone, which failed after a couple of cooks.

Originally set just a hair proud of flush, the inducer tube wandered in to just a bit shy of flush, which allowed air to leak in all the time - suddenly I coudn't shut the KK down to save my soul.

Finally discovered the problem, and got the tube out, cleaned off all the silicone, and re-set it using black stove cement. Its in there very reliably now.

Mike

Okay, I just received the inducer tube from BBQGuru. Now my question is, on which groove does the snap ring go? And who has snap ring pliers? I wish I had know about needing a special tool before receiving the tube :x . Is there another method I can use to move the snap ring without damaging it?

Sorry, having spent my entire adult life in apartments and then a condo (just moved into my first house), I'm a novice DIY'er, and am not always sure of the best way to go about a handyman's project.

Thanks as always,

Keith

Indicer Tube - Snap Ring

I did not move the snap ring at all.

I slid the inducer tube from the outside in, leading with the threaded end of the inducer tube.

Then just screwed the inner flat metal plate onto the threaded end, which by now is protruding form the inside of the KK.

Keith - I believe all of us have the snap ring on the first slot, closest to the outside end of the inducer tube. Looking from the threaded side, it is the second groove. Like Tucker said, slip it in from the outside of the KK to the inside until the snap ring stops it from going any further. Tighten with the stainless steel lock ring, and you are done! Easy, eh? If your snap ring is not on the outermost grooved slot, use a pair of needle nose pliers, with the tips inserted in the snap ring holes, and open the needle nose pliers to spread the snap ring a bit. Now just slide it to the correct slotted position. ;)

Inducer tube won't fit

Okay, I knocked out the plug, and, following the advice I got here on the forum, just tried to insert the inducer tube into the port from the outside, threaded end first. It wouldn't fit. No problem. I got some needle-nose pliers, took off the snap ring, and inserted it smooth-side first into the port from the inside. And...the inducer tube stops at the stainless steel panel on the outside of the KK. It seems to be off center, just enough to stop the travel of the inducer tube. Here is a pic of the inducer tube, as far as it can go, just to the inside of the stainless panel.

Now what the heck do I do? Kind of aggravated here; 9 lb. picnic prepped and ready to go on, just had to get the BBQGuru set up. Wasn't really expecting this kind of headache.

Keith

img0195k.th.jpg

Look carefully at the end of the inducer for where the overlap is.

Mark that area of the panel with a sharpie.

Pull the inducer tube out, and using a round file, file the stainless panel gently until the tube will fit through.

I had the same issue, and it took about a minute's work to make the hole large enough.

Mike

Is this a joke?

Okay, taking Amphoran's advice, I went to Home Depot before they closed, and purchased a round file. I filed the stainless panel until the inducer tube fit through. Now, the problem is, with the snap ring at the outermost groove, the inducer tube still does not extend far enough into the KK to thread the lock ring onto the threads. The tube that is built into the KK extends just far enough into the interior of the KK that the inducer does not extend far enough to thread the locking ring. Anyone have any ideas? I'm fresh out, and I should probably step away from the keyboard before I type something I'll regret.

Inducer tube..

This is the small inducer tube.. The Guru faceplate was designed for it. The hole was CNC (digitally) cut for this tube.

IMG_1280.jpg

When held up to the hole it will appear to be too large for the hole.

IMG_1281.jpg

But with a firm tap.. it will slip in.

IMG_1283_3.jpg

Sometimes one side will be higher and need to be tapped down.

IMG_1286_3.jpg

Once in, it is very solid, tight and does not need any silicon.

IMG_1287_3.jpg

Re: Future KOmodos will be sent w/ the tube installed.

To avoid these frustrating situations.. I've had some Guru tubes machined up and will be sending future KOmodos with the tube installed.

Would that include the Bronze Beauties about to ship?

I'm pretty sure it does not but let me see what I can do..

;);)

This is the small inducer tube

Dennis, which tube is that? Is that one that you make? It looks shorter than the Stumps tube sold by BBQGuru.

I have already filed just enough of the hole in the faceplate to accommodate the Bulkhead Inducer tube, so your small inducer tube would probably not have a tight fit at this point.

It appears that my only two options are to either find a machine shop that can cut another groove into the inducer tube, so I can fit the tube deeper into the KK, or to cement it in with silicone or stove cement.

Am I missing anything?

Keith