Hitman

Whole beef tenderloin with Gorgonzola Butter

This weekend I had a group of 22 friends over for "Virgo Fest", to celebrate 5 different September birthdays. I did two beef tenderloins from Costco, about 5 pounds each, nicely trimmed of membrane.

I applied a nice rub the day before, then put them on the top grill, no heat deflector, at around 250 degrees. I pulled them off to dwell when the internal temp was 107, and it continued to rise up to about 120. Then back on the sear grill at about 750 degrees for 1 minute per side.

The meat was delicious, but almost TOO tender --- you could cut it with your thumb! It was a rosy pink color throughout.

Next time I will probably skip the Finney reverse sear, just grill it straight up at 500 or so.

The Gorgonzola butter was delicious, & very easy to prepare. Take a whole head of garlic, whack off the top with a knife, drizzle with olive oil, then bake at 350 for about an hour. The garlic cloves will turn into a brownish paste, which you can squeeze into a bowl. I preferred to use a knife to pluck each clove out independently. Let the garlic cool, then use a food processor and a cutting blade, blend with one stick of unsalted butter, a little white pepper, and 2 to 4 ounces of crumbled Gorgonzola cheese. Process until smooth, then form into a tube shape inside some Saran wrap, and chill. Put one patty on each slice of beef. Awesome flavor!

Hey! I've posted my share! Plus, when you're the congenial host, you're busy flirting with the gals, and lying to the guys. I just didn't have time to snap any pics. Everyone has seen what a tenderloin looks like anyway.

I will take copious photos this weekend of my first low & slow adventure.