DennisLinkletter

Charcoal, Fish, ATBs and Ribs both Piggy and Moo

Going thru my photo gallery I came across a few cooks that I have not posted. This first one's a first. I had a large sack of Coffee charcoal that had gotten wet. I brought my KK up to 250º dropped in the heat deflector then added the lower grill with tin foil spread and folded around most of it leaving just a sliver left and right. Then I poured out the contents of the bag.. left it at 250º for an hour and the crackling, popping and slight steaming subsided. Your KK makes a great charcoal drier but I don't recommend anyone using moldy charcoal as spores don't always die from heat.

IMG_2857.jpg

Local TriTip cut into strange shapes but tasty none the less..

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

ATB and some ribs, bathed in the white vinegar al la Chris Lilly.. Sai left some seeds in the jalapenos which had everybody huffing and puffing..

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

Fresh Mahi Mahi cooked on one side at about 400º untill the fat comes up and the meat is semi firm to the touch.. Amazing!

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

Reverse sear with Char Crust I found in a suitcase..

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

Super cool green and red bug that landed on my 19.5 Lil' Isla - No we did not eat it ;-)

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

Beef ribs.. took them up to 200º and when the bone pulled out easy and clean..

a bit greasy and still had some nasty chewys but great beefy flavor. Cleaned it up and made an awesome sandwich

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

Mguerra's pineapple juice, brown sugar and cayman chile Salmon .. Kids favorite.. lightly smoked with apple wood.. Even better the next day with a bit of Best Foods mixed in as a dip.. Argh soo tasty.. Multi Kudos to the Dr.. We're big sushi eaters so I always purchase the salmon at the Japanese market in the Sushi area and leave the thickest part just barely cooked.

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

Simple reverse sear steak and salad dinner..

IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

Mguerra's pineapple juice, brown sugar and cayman chile Salmon again and again..

Used some of the damp charcoal and it caused the skin to stick to the grill so I did not flip it but it was still luscious.. When seared the brown sugar and cayman chile make magic!

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

Pork Cheek.. Odd looking meat. Smoked it slow but obviously not long enough as it had all sorts of nasty sticky almost glue like stuff inside.. I know this is a delicacy but my dog barely ate it.. Any tips how to cook this?

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

When I worked for Hy-Vee food stores(Johnnyboy knows them)we would run the cheeks through the tenderizer machine, and sell them as pork cutlets. If you can find a hand held Jaccard machine, this should also do the trick. Otherwise try marinating them in a fairly acidic solution, or with an enzyme like papain(sic?). Or use a meat cleaver or meat hammer to flatten them out and bread them and fry them.You could probably grill them on that fancy charcoal drier you have!Just a thought!When we cook whole hogs, the cheeks just melt in your mouth...hint,hint.

Great photos, and way to head off the "did you eat that bug" question!

Wow, Dennis, is that all one meal?

The signature use for pork cheeks is to make Guanciale, an Italian pancetta alternative of the gods.

Beef cheeks are a classic bistro braised dish; Tom Colicchio has a nice recipe in Think Like a Chef. We've had mixed luck, however, with one organic cheek coming out like the shoe Charlie Chaplin ate in Gold Rush. We figured the cow smiled too much.

So to KK a pork cheek I'd reverse all my prejudices, and foil with sauce after the smoke ring forms?

Great pics Dennis!!! I like the little green flying bug too!!!!

I have to say I was quite impressed with your load of coal!!! Is that a typical load for you?

I can honestly say I've never filled mine like that.

Oh yes, Primeats! I know Hy-Vee. Not a typical shopping place but a good one, just a bit out of my way.