DennisLinkletter

Kids Favorite Chicken Wings

Needed to smoke 60 full wings for a party and was all out of apple my poultry smoking wood of choice. So I decided to use my cast iron smoke pot to clean up the hickory a bit. My 4 year old daughter and I made up some flour and water to make the gasket..

IMG_3348.jpg

30 minutes later we had the top on and sealed ;-)

IMG_3349.jpg

Dropped it into a KK preheated to 250º..

IMG_3350.jpg

After letting them sit in a freezer for 40 minutes to delay the meat cooking, I coated them with Best Foods and sprinkled them with Pappy's Choice low salt seasoning..

IMG_3364.jpg

Two levels

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

About 1 hour at 250 and 45 minutes at 350 and then they started to brown up (being frozen let me smoke and cook them longer to melt off more fat.)

IMG_3372.jpg

At this point they pulled apart easily and were pretty much amazing..

;);)

Dennis, did you use the stone and drip pan? Did you turn them at all or just let them go?

Been wanting to try wings on the KK but just wasn't sure of a method to try.

I did those indirect and now I do them room temperature a little hotter maybe 300

and then pull them off in a big bowl crank it up to 450 and finish them off direct to blacken crisp them up a bit.. turning madly...

Yum!

A friend of mine used to make the best "Buffalo" stye chicken wings. His secrets were to deep fry till the wings were truly cooked (about twice as long as any sports bar now cooks them), then use as little as possible of the absolutely hottest hot sauce available, to flavor them without making them soggy.

You're inspiring me to try this on the KK.