T Rex

First Pizza on the KK

After looking at some of the great pizza pictures on this site, Mrs. T and I thought that we would give it a go........... :)

As this was primarily Mrs. T's undertaking, she was supposed to post this thread however, she hasn't figured out how to post her Avatar or pictures for that matter. I guess a "tutorial" would be in order over the next couple of days................. :D:D

We warmed up the KK over an hour using Royal Oak lump and after the KK had been at 600F dome for about 30 minutes we decided to "git her done".

The pizza ready for the KK. Lots of fresh Basil, mushrooms, onion, etc...

20100505_1169.jpg

The KK at 600F dome

20100505_1170.jpg

The finished product, forgot to take a picture on the KK......

20100505_1171.jpg

This could not have been easier and and as "Tony the Tiger" would say, it tasted "terrrrrific"! :)

T Rex

Looks pretty good from here (despite the crazy shape :P ). What did you end up using for a stone?

I went with a 14" Fibrament with the stainless pan to use on the BBQ. I would of gone with one of Dennis' however, I found out too late that they are the same specs as Fibrament...... why would I not be surprised... :)

The shape was the result of spreading the dough out on the peel and trying to maximize the space..........

T Rex

Re: How Much Fuel

T Rex' date=' how much lump did you start with and ultimately use? Also, how many additional pies do you think you could have done after your first one? Got to do some pies in the near future.[/quote']

Hi Larr, I used around 1/2 basket and actually burned it all. Bear in mind that I let her run for over an hour at some pretty high temps before I started. The pizza took around 8 minutes and I am sure that you could do several more however, I understand that you would/should leave the KK catch up between pizzas (as this was my first pie on the KK, I can't be more specific as to number of pies) ......... I should mention that I cooked direct heat and on the upper grill.

I also wanted to do a "hot cook" to clean out the KK.

T Rex

Thanks Conodo

You should of heard me swear trying to get the damn pie in a proper shape........... :( but T Rex insisted it looked perfectly fine, and who am I to argue with T Rex...... :D:D

Looks "rustic" to me and tasted as good as T said.

Mrs. T Rex

PS Got the Avatar up and running, Whoo Hoo! :)

Nice Pie and welcome Mrs T Rex ;-)

As one who has been eating a lot of very strange shaped pizzas I can attest to their deliciousness.. In fact heart shaped ones are my daughter's favorite.

I'll dig up some photos..

I'd like to send a special welcome out to Mrs. T Rex for being our first Mrs. from a couple here.. And thank Mr T Rex for being the other half of our first couple.. Especially with pizzas, team work is important for a continual flow of pies.. with out too much craziness.. Once you determine the cooking time for your particular thickness of a particular dough a timer works well as they will come off like clockwork also.. and a timer reducer the quantity of peeks..

Have no doubt that keeping your KK raging at 650º eats up some fuel.. There is nothing economical going on here.. Insulation saves you little here.. It's definitely a pedal to the metal situation to create all that heat.. and when you open it up at those temps you quickly notice it's a lot of heat..

It's also pretty shocking to notice that you are not blistering your hands when touching the body at these high temps.. It's hot but you're not going to burn your hands.. stay clear of the stainless front door and make sure that your low airflow vents are CLOSED this keeps the teak knob much cooler and prevents the chance of it getting toasted from the outside.

Thank you Dennis for the kind words, that is so gracious of you! I have very much enjoyed the Forum and the KK, not having regretted our decision to buy a KK for one minute.

I have been spending quite a bit of time lately at the stable with my horses so I apologize for not thanking you for your kind words sooner. T Rex has his mother joining us for dinner tonight, so the KK will be fired up. I believe T is planning on ribs, yams and baked beans. My undertaking will be a nice salad, dessert and choosing the wine for dinner.

Before I forget, Happy Mother's day to all the ladies on the Forum.

Thanks again,

Mrs. T Rex

shapes all go down the same

Alton Brown did a pizza show the other day and suggested not worrying about making a perfect circle. Just get it kind of roundish. That's how my grandmothers' tortillas came out, sort of round. Pizzas and tortillas don't know if they are round, and neither do your taste buds. Hell, make a trapezoid for me!