cruzmisl

Don't cook outside.........

I just got back from the Smokies after a much needed short vacation. We always rent a secluded cabin way up in the mountains and just hang out.

One morning I got up early and brought a griddle outside on the deck to fry up some bacon since my wife hates when the house smells like pork fat. They said don't leave food outside and now I know why. This bird, which I think is a female peacock, showed up. I was on the upper deck a few stories up and this thing started walking up the stairs towards the smell of the bacon. I couldn't believe it. I unplugged my griddle and finished cooking inside :) It was a big bird too, probably a few feet high. I got some great pictures too. I'm just happy it wasn't a black bear.

It was like Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom (remember that show?)

bird1.jpg

bird2.jpg

This is what she was after :D

bacon.jpg

first pecker full of hot bacon grease!

I would have loved to see it's dance when it got it's first pecker full of hot bacon grease! I always worry about my dog trying to lick a hot grill when I remove it and set it down.

My Akita "tried" to eat a hot stolen ABT off the table once.

Tried is the key word here.. the right off the KK hot cream cheese stopped her in her chewing and tracks.

But she did eat a small turkey once.. bones and all while it was resting/cooling in the kitchen on the counter. She immediately crawled under the house and would not come out until after dark.

I'd buy her a turkey a day to have her back.. RIP

;);)

Re: first pecker full of hot bacon grease!

I would have loved to see it's dance when it got it's first pecker full of hot bacon grease! I always worry about my dog trying to lick a hot grill when I remove it and set it down.

My Akita "tried" to eat a hot stolen ABT off the table once.

Tried is the key word here.. the right off the KK hot cream cheese stopped her in her chewing and tracks.

But she did eat a small turkey once.. bones and all while it was resting/cooling in the kitchen on the counter. She immediately crawled under the house and would not come out until after dark.

I'd buy her a turkey a day to have her back.. RIP

;);)

Hey Dennis, Mrs. T and I have been married for 32 years (well in June) and we have had four felines during this period. The first was a Russian Blue called Nickolas (after the Russian Czar) that lived 15 +/- years and I swore we would not have any more pets...... Well my daughter started bringing home some books from the library in grade 2 or 3 about exotic cats, which ended up in a North American search for a Havana Brown. After contacting an International cat judge by the name of Linda Jean Grillo, we finally found one we could afford. We called him Bernard because he was Bernard Callibout chocolate from eyebrow to a--hole.

Lost Bernard a couple of years ago, cried my eyes out for a week solid but gave him a nice burial under one of the largest fir trees in our back yard, complete with tomb stone.......

Mrs. T insisted that I needed some company when she is at the stable so we went ahead with a couple of Siamese kittens (the Van Isle Boyz) and I have never been happier. The good part is as I age, I will likely predecease them, making everything a whole lot easier......

I think there is a lesson to be learned here somewhere.......

T Rex

carnivorous beauties

Well, that peacock started walking up the stairs. We can only speculate about its motivation. My guess is that it was moving toward the humans who it associates with food, not the smell of frying bacon! But it's a pretty funny thing to contemplate big packs of peacocks hunting down their natural prey item, wild feral hogs!!! There is a huge problem from Texas to Florida of wild hogs wreaking havoc on property, fences, feeders, crops and even attacking people. It's up there with the damn fire ant problem. Maybe we should start releasing peacocks all over the south to try to get these hogs under control. Nice photos, BTW.

Re: carnivorous beauties

Well' date=' that peacock started walking up the stairs. We can only speculate about its motivation. My guess is that it was moving toward the humans who it associates with food, not the smell of frying bacon! .[/quote']

You're probably right but I'm sticking with my bacon theory. Makes for a better story :)

Re: carnivorous beauties

Well' date=' that peacock started walking up the stairs. We can only speculate about its motivation. My guess is that it was moving toward the humans who it associates with food, not the smell of frying bacon! .[/quote']

You're probably right but I'm sticking with my bacon theory. Makes for a better story :)

Is Doc saying you were in the cross-hairs??? Yikes!!!