ThreeDJ16

Ro-Man Pork Puller

Re: disgusting

This thing incorporates all the fat and inter-muscular connective tissue in to the pulled pork. I remove ALL of that when hand pulling. No thanks!

Gee, why don't you tell us how you really feel then? :mad:

Typically a boston butt will break apart easily when fully cooked at those muscle groups....then this device easily used. Being real, I don't think it is intended for someone breaking up one butt. Not really worth the purchase or effort unless you are doing a bunch. Though there is the cool gadget factor for those of us who like such things. :wink:

Hmmm.... I have thoroughly enjoyed pulling my own pork by hand ;):lol: ' date=' or by using a few other convenient tools, but never thought of using a drill! Seems to work good in the video![/quote']

A little too much personal info Conodo LOL

After shredding 3 every Saturday, this device looks very handy! Now to find an NSF cordless drill to use in the store! As you all know, those baby's are REAL hot straight off the KK! This could save a few burned finger tips as well as the outbreak of foul language from the staff ! On a side note, most of the fat that I have noticed has been melted away during the long low and slow, as well as nearly all of the connective tissue. If any has remained it is usually in one or two large clumps and can be removed before the carnage begins with that device. Ranks high on the gadget list!

After shredding 3 every Saturday' date=' this device looks very handy! Now to find an NSF cordless drill to use in the store! As you all know, those baby's are REAL hot straight off the KK! This could save a few burned finger tips as well as the outbreak of foul language from the staff ! On a side note, most of the fat that I have noticed has been melted away during the long low and slow, as well as nearly all of the connective tissue. If any has remained it is usually in one or two large clumps and can be removed before the carnage begins with that device. Ranks high on the gadget list![/quote']

Not only cool, it beats the next closest competition on price by several thousand dollars (which is a bowl cutter or I think they call them buffalo cutters too). This is gonna be my very next project. If anyone can think of any improvements to their design, I will test them out.

Hey Primeats, would your local codes allow for placing the drill in a seperate bucket with a hole cut in it? Someone in another forum suggested that.

-=Jasen=-

How about a shorter version that fits into a kitchenaid stand mixer

That may work, but I'd be tempted to get a flexible extension for the power takeoff port instead (or whatever the official term for the accessory port at the front of the mixer is). Modifying something like this would give you a bit more reach and probably spin fast enough on 10. If not, it's just a gearbox away from it :)

Regarding the burned fingers, notice in the video that it looks like it's smoking from all the steam escaping - that would have been painful just breaking open by hand!

Re: disgusting

This thing incorporates all the fat and inter-muscular connective tissue in to the pulled pork. I remove ALL of that when hand pulling. No thanks!

i sure don't. the gross stuff i wouldn't want to eat, sure, but there's a bunch of that fat NEEDS to be in the pork. some of the fat cap on those butts, if you cook them right, is the consistancy of softened butter, and (i believe) should be incorporated into the pork. matter of fact, if i've got good drippings in my drip pan, i will pour some of that in to my pull when i finish. pork fat rules!

the gadget is a RIOT!!! but nothing beats using your hands. i'd prefer some heat-proof gloves to that thing, for the same reason. no matter how well-cooked your butt is, there is still stuff in there that i'd rather not have in my sammich.

i bet they use those gadgets at the factory when they make those plastic tubs full of porcine glop they try to pass off to the less edu-ma-cated as "pulled pork"...

"Hey Primeats, would your local codes allow for placing the drill in a seperate bucket with a hole cut in it? Someone in another forum suggested that."

I was thinking of a flexible drive that could be attached to a Dremmel up and out of the way. If you don't over do it you should be able to remove most of the solid fat chunks...I think!

"Hey Primeats, would your local codes allow for placing the drill in a seperate bucket with a hole cut in it? Someone in another forum suggested that."

I was thinking of a flexible drive that could be attached to a Dremmel up and out of the way. If you don't over do it you should be able to remove most of the solid fat chunks...I think!

Man, you must have a much more serious Dremmel tool than mine. That hunk of SS looks around 4" diameter and close to 1/4" thick. My Dremmel would give up looking at that...hehe. But the extension sounds good.

-=Jasen=-

As someone who makes interesting gadgets for a limited market, I feel I have to support anyone doing similar things when our interests intersect.

So - I got one of these. The disk is aluminum, the tines are stainless. Looks like they were shrunk in (i.e. heat the aluminum and chill the stainles tines, then assemble. When temps equalize, they are very firmly held in place). The shaft is a standard 1/4" drill extension, and is NOT stainless. Looks and feels very robust. After having had the pleasure (not!) of hand-pulling 12 butts for a large group bbq last summer, this looked to be a great solution.

It is intended to be driven with a cordless drill at relatively low speed. Why would you need a second bucket with a hole?

Mike

As someone who makes interesting gadgets for a limited market, I feel I have to support anyone doing similar things when our interests intersect.

So - I got one of these. The disk is aluminum, the tines are stainless. Looks like they were shrunk in (i.e. heat the aluminum and chill the stainles tines, then assemble. When temps equalize, they are very firmly held in place). The shaft is a standard 1/4" drill extension, and is NOT stainless. Looks and feels very robust. After having had the pleasure (not!) of hand-pulling 12 butts for a large group bbq last summer, this looked to be a great solution.

It is intended to be driven with a cordless drill at relatively low speed. Why would you need a second bucket with a hole?

Mike

Nice....curious how it works out. I thought the shaft looked like a standard drill extension.

FYI, the second bucket was a possible simple solution to prevent motor brush particles from the drill motor getting into the food (it was suggested on another forum). Which I assume that would be the concern in the food service industry while using a typical household drill (not that I would worry about it for my use).

I agree about the neat solution. Just glad I am not the only one on the forum who is too lazy and distigusting (earlier posts) to use such a product for destroying good pork! hehe :roll::smt044

-=Jasen=-