Paswesley

Best use of a blow dryer

Hello, forum family. Someone mentioned somewhere that a cheap blow dryer may be used as an aid to accelerate the process of getting the KK up to cooking temp. I know that most of you big spenders have BBQ Guru or Stokker systems, but maybe you used this method before you got your draft aids. Until I get something more elaborate, i will be using this little hair dryer I picked up for $12.99. After lighting with my propane torch, should I blow the air down onto the charcoal basket from above? Or, assuming there are no ashes present, should I blow the air into the lower draft door? This does not appear to be practical in L&S cooking, because you don't want to overshoot your target temp. I suppose where the blow dryer's airflow is applied would depend on how hot the stabilized target temp is going to be. Ideas/suggestions?

Thanks, Anton

The blowdryer should only be used when you quickly want to attain *high* temps. In those cases, you blow the air in through the lower draft. But beware, its going to make a mess of flying ash, so you definitely only want to do it before the food is on. Even then, I prefer to wait for it to reach temp naturally. Otherwise, the temp will drop right back to what the normal airflow allows when you remove the dryer.

The only time I would consider the dryer is if I was trying to get my fire spread to my whole basket of lump quickly, but after it was all lit, I would still give it some time to stabilize.

Waiting and relaxing is half the joy of a KK!

Thanks, Firemonkey. Even your orangutan avatar looks like he is kicking back and chilling out. Maxing the relaxing is very important. Due to the vivid imagery of your description of flying ash, I do believe the return counter at Marshall's will soon be receiving the return of one bargain hair dryer. Reason: Buyer remorse! ;)

Wait for Dennis to weigh in? This is his technique. I pictured a simple "blow from above" to get a spot raging, then let time take its course.

There was a separate discussion of shop vac filters that could handle ash, with the caveat that embers start fires in unwanted places (garage where shop vac is stored). My compromise is to remove most of the ash manually with a paint brush out the ash door, then clean up with a shop vac sometimes. Ash above the charcoal bothers me, it's crazy to get the last 10% down below.

That is, unless the hair dryer trick saves 20 minutes later. But where is the ash down below going to go, if the rest of the KK is clean, and there's a decent load of lump in the way?

Re: keep it

I would keep the blow dryer' date=' sometimes you will use it, sometimes not. I use one occasionally and just blow down from above. Do you "need" it? No, but it's fun to play with sometimes.[/quote']

So Doc, are we taking KOoking or personal hygiene..... :D:D

T Rex

My Cheapo hair drier...

A while back Ace hardware here in Bali stopped importing the traditional blue propane bottles..

Argh.. I though my life was over.

I reluctantly bought some of those lil' wax starters.. I break them in two or three pieces light one and toss them into a lil hole in the charcoal and stack some lil pieces over it.

I wait a few impatient minutes and then hit it with the hairdryer.. it glows madly and immediately lights all the charcoal around it..

It can also be a life saver when you have shut down your airflow too long dropping temps and need to get some barely burning charcoal going again.. The secret is to move the airflow slowly into the KK.. This prevents ashes from flying too much.. you can also blow out of the KK any ash you stir up..

Oh and it also brings out the 10 year old pyromanic in you..

;);)

Re: My Cheapo hair drier...

A while back Ace hardware here in Bali stopped importing the traditional blue propane bottles..

Coleman (I think it's Coleman) makes a unit to refill the blue bottles from a reg propane tank. Have seen them in Wally World. I think Ace may also carry them.

Look Here: http://www.navagear.com/2008/04/refill- ... cylinders/

I have one and they work great. I cool the bottle I am filling in the freezer for half an hour, turn the 20 lb. filler upside down and fill the little bottle. You can never get it completely full but most times it is 3/4 full and last quite a long time if used as a starter.... :)

T Rex

Re: My Cheapo hair drier...

Coleman (I think it's Coleman) makes a unit to refill the blue bottles from a reg propane tank. Have seen them in Wally World. I think Ace may also carry them.

Look Here: http://www.navagear.com/2008/04/refill- ... cylinders/

Great thanks..

Ordered one..

Will be happy to have gas again..

;)