bryan

Komodo-Kamado Another 1st

Quote " You cannot do a traditional low and slow cook for a round roast, a center cut chuck roast and several others. These very lean cuts, which are not naturally tender, are almost pure muscle with very little intra-muscular fat and inter-muscular connective tissue. They come out like shoe leather if cooked low and slow in air. At least un-foiled. Only certain cuts do well with a low and slow."

There are many that hold to the above statement.

USING A KOMODO-KAMADO I FOUND THE STATEMENT IS NOT TRUE!!

I cooked a EYE ROUND ROAST at 135-145F in a Komodo-Kamado. It was pulled at 139 internal.

The pictures tell the story and hopefully will help backyard cooks to set more roast to rest.

Thanks Dennis!!!

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a tender roast. It exists as certainly as KOMODO-KAMADO and lump charcoal exist, know that they abound and give to your roast its highest beauty, tenderness and taste.

rsz11000232.jpg

rsz1000231.jpg

rsz11000225.jpg

rsz1000227.jpg

Re: alternate technique

Here's something interesting:

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/598 ... #171102635

Rotisserie round roast!

Looks good on the outside.

135-145 will not make that bark. You could use a torch for a bark finish. Just be carefull that you do not over burn the edge and turn the temp ring brownish grey. (over cooked meat)

Ive done some high temp roast beef cooks:

viewtopic.php?t=2930

The above was done with a portion of a whole sirloin tip roast, where I used half the roast for jerky and saved a portion to make the roast beef. But I have NEVER been able to make a tender eye round roast, other than inside of a roasting bag in the oven. I even tried some eye of round steaks, cooked almost black and blue, and even the nearly raw meat was tough.

I would need to cook it a bit more for my family to eat it, but your post has me considering another try - and I have already sworn off this cut!

Ive done some high temp roast beef cooks:

viewtopic.php?t=2930

The above was done with a portion of a whole sirloin tip roast, where I used half the roast for jerky and saved a portion to make the roast beef. But I have NEVER been able to make a tender eye round roast, other than inside of a roasting bag in the oven. I even tried some eye of round steaks, cooked almost black and blue, and even the nearly raw meat was tough.

I would need to cook it a bit more for my family to eat it, but your post has me considering another try - and I have already sworn off this cut!

I would be really interested in seeing a closeup pic of a 141-142 cook. I would on no circumstances go over a max 145 internal. It turns tough quick. I even think 145 might be pushing it for a "Eye Round"

My BH will not eat red meat. For some reason she tried this one and wanted more. She still won't eat red meat but has asked me to do another Eye.

For some reason when I cut the first 2" piece off the small end and opened it up like a book she fell in love. First thing she said was "I'm taking some of that to work". (They loved it)

Note: She did have me use the slicer.

The KK can do it. Mine did.

It is a good challenge just to try.

Here's something interesting:

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/598 ... #171102635

Rotisserie round roast!

Looks good on the outside.

135-145 will not make that bark. You could use a torch for a bark finish. Just be carefull that you do not over burn the edge and turn the temp ring brownish grey. (over cooked meat)

Season the roast and then take a torch to it before you put it on. All you need to do is grey the outside. Cook it low at about 275 in the KK and pull 5-10 degrees below your desired finish temp. This will give you the crust you are looking for. Little trick from Thomas Keller.... Works great on prime rib as well of course.

[

Cook it low at about 275 in the KK and pull 5-10 degrees below your desired finish temp.

Not sure why Doc posted a reference to a 350-400 degree cook here.

I suggested a torch could might be used to get a bark finish on my above cook. (Most of us on this forum seem to know about torches.)

Your suggestion to cook at 275 and pull at 10 degrees below that is just not applicable to my cook on this post.

My post is all about the KK cooking at 135-145f for TENDER ROAST.

The pictured eye roast above was cooked between 135 and 145f on a Komodo-Kamado.

I would need to cook it a bit more for my family to eat it' date=' but your post has me considering another try - and I have already sworn off this cut![/quote']

Have you tried the kkook yet? I suggest not going over 145. Roast gets tough fast after 145.

I am really interested in seeing pic's of your results.

not yet

No, but since you bring it up, the weekend is here...

If I can get a round roast to come out tender, I'll be surprised, but you did it so it's obviously possible. It does occur to me that one reason roast beef is often sliced super thin is to make a tough roast more chewable than eating big thick hunks of it.

Re: not yet

No, but since you bring it up, the weekend is here...

If I can get a round roast to come out tender, I'll be surprised, but you did it so it's obviously possible. It does occur to me that one reason roast beef is often sliced super thin is to make a tough roast more chewable than eating big thick hunks of it.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

SMALL fire.

Constant fire monitor.

This one will bring out the cook in you.

Once you can repeat this cook at will it will become a favorite. Neat to watch friends faces when they bite in. Makes you not want to tell how you did it.

I agree on that old slice thin statement. Now it is "If you got the time, you got the tender"

It gets tough fast after 145.

I must be dense but was the roast cooked at or to 140F. If cooked at 140, how did you set up the KK? Almost like sous vide.

Jim

AT 140.

The roast came out like sous vide.

Sealed off main grill except small space for heat to come through. Roast on top grill. Mega small fire.

NO torch inside cooker.

Try one it is an experience. I am on my third one and still have a lot to learn to control the heat. But It gets better each time. Please take good notes for me if you don't mind.

Still looking for better heat control.

To be more specific on the set up.

I have made five dry runs learning temp control. I have used tubes 3"x3", fans, Guru, torch, charcoal and lump.

Meat was started at room temp w/salt and pepper. I monitored the Guru all the way and recorded info every 1-2 min's.

I have also done 3 roast.

The 1st was really an experience and I pulled it a little early. (came out rare but good)

The 2nd is the one pictured in this post.

The 3rd came out best of all but I was still having to spend a lot of time controlling the heat level.

Trying another 8h dry run tomorrow. If it shows promise I'll Kook another roast Sunday.

I'm looking for that set it and forget it recipe the KK does so well.

This unit can get the same results as a sous vide cook. When you taste an eye roast and it is like good med rare steak, with no gray area out on the edge,tender and juicy... well lets just say it's one hell of an experience knowing you can and did do it.

I have to say I'm impressed. I tried this over the weekend I never would have predicted the results. I had two round roasts from Costco, the first I sliced into ~1" strips and simmered in sauce for a few hours and it came out as expected - nice firm chunks. The second I brined in a mixture of Worcestershire, balsamic, and salt. I cooked it at 160F for about 12 hours, then went to sleep and turned the temperature down to about 150F. When it still wasn't done in the morning I monitored it at work (thank you Stoker!) and lowered it to 145F around 2pm when it reached 138. When I got home it was hovering around 140F and looked like a little leather football in the cooker. Expecting the worst I sliced it open and it was just as yours was, bright pink, tender, and moist inside. It was odd being able to handle the meat without gloves fresh from the cooker.

I have to say I'm impressed. I tried this over the weekend I never would have predicted the results. I had two round roasts from Costco' date=' the first I sliced into ~1" strips and simmered in sauce for a few hours and it came out as expected - nice firm chunks. The second I brined in a mixture of Worcestershire, balsamic, and salt. I cooked it at 160F for about 12 hours, then went to sleep and turned the temperature down to about 150F. When it still wasn't done in the morning I monitored it at work (thank you Stoker!) and lowered it to 145F around 2pm when it reached 138. When I got home it was hovering around 140F and looked like a little leather football in the cooker. Expecting the worst I sliced it open and it was just as yours was, bright pink, tender, and moist inside. It was odd being able to handle the meat without gloves fresh from the cooker.[/quote']

Thanks for trying the cook! Did you take pictures. How was the texture?

This is really great.

Are you happy with the cook. Hey it's like KK sous vide. Your next one will be better. Keep the meat below 120 as long as you can. The enzyme tenderizing action stops at 122f. Around 145 it is on fast track heading toward tough.

Sorry, no pics (I was hungry when I came home!), but it looked a lot like yours. Tough, brown outside but almost no transition at all to a pink center. The texture is hard to describe, very tender yet still firm. I guess "homogeneous" is a good term, almost no distinction between the muscle fibers. The first roast which I cut into strips and braised was cooked stringy and tough and then simmered back something like a pot roast (where the muscle fibers fall apart as you chew), this second roast was a stark contrast to that and it's hard to believe it's the same cut. I'll have to try again some time, maybe I'll start around 140F or so and then gradually raise the temperature a bit to keep it below 122F longer.

My second and later ones all came out a lot like tenderloin.

You are now on a very short list of those that can and have grilled a tender round roast.

Watching the faces is really neat.

Try to start and stay at 140. It will get tender, tender, tender, then turn mushy. that is the cutoff I am looking for now. Help? My best pull was at 139

I welcome any suggestions you may have.

Low temp control..

Joe,

Great cook but would you please share the techniques you used to maintain these low temps..

I've played around trying to maintain your 140º and it's not easy..

Photos of the set up would be all that much better..

Thanks for boldly going where no charcoal cook has gone before..

;);)