slu

Roti Duck

Just for the hell of it, we did a rotisserie duck on the KK this evening. Cooked at 375 for 1 1/2 hours until internal temperature of 175. The meat was flavorful and moist, but this was one tough bird! I think a better method is to cut the bird in half or quarters, then wrap in foil and cook until tender. Then sear at high heat until crip. We're still experimenting with the rotisserie, so we'll stick to yard bird until more familiar! Here's a pic anyway.

ICd6A.jpg

ICi5S.jpg

ICkB0.jpg

Hey Conodo;

My grandparents used to live in Harrisburg. They took us to the Hershey factory once, I'll never forget it. As a kid, I had never been exposed to big time industrial production. We walked in there and saw those giant multi thousand gallon vats of molten chocolate and I just sh.t!!!! I was stunned to see it. Thoughts of jumping in and swimming and scarfing chocolate all at once danced through my head. I still think of it. Probably around 1964ish.

Hey Conodo;

My grandparents used to live in Harrisburg. They took us to the Hershey factory once, I'll never forget it. As a kid, I had never been exposed to big time industrial production. We walked in there and saw those giant multi thousand gallon vats of molten chocolate and I just sh.t!!!! I was stunned to see it. Thoughts of jumping in and swimming and scarfing chocolate all at once danced through my head. I still think of it. Probably around 1964ish.

Come on Doc, I can think of better things to do in a vat of chocolate!

Re: Roti Duck - narow V shaped fat/drip container

I think I need to design a special narow V shaped fat/drip container to use with the rotisserie..

It will sit down low, be narrow enough to be able to cook pretty much direct and maybe double walled to keep the oil from burning inside.

I think that's a great idea. The skin on the duck, or chicken for that matter, would crisp up wonderfully with a bit more direct heat. A heavy narrow drip pan should do the trick. Sometimes I utilize two 4" quarry tiles, or a half round kiln shelf, underneath the meat to shield it a bit from the direct flame, or just to move a thick steak to "indirect" for a few moments.

Re: Roti Duck

Hey Slu, I have now done a couple of ducks on the KOoker which have turned out very, very tasty......... I cook a duck the same way I would a "drunken chicken" whereby the duck is sitting on a beverage can filled with water and Five Spice. I bast the duck every half hour with a combination of Five Spice and Hoisin sauce which carmelizes very nicely. Sooooooooooo, 5-6 hours at 300F with basting every half hour. The skin is not crispy but neither is it tough and the duck is very moist. This is as close as you can get outside of going out and buying a BBQ duck.......

Here are a couple of pictures for you:

20101107_1807.jpg

20101107_1811.jpg

T Rex

That looks like an impressive Duck TRex! Nice cook!

Now I wonder if employing a little "reverse sear" would crisp up that skin? Interestingly, I don't eat a ton of the skin from any of my cooks, but I always like just a little taste and don't want that taste to be rubbery in texture...

Looks great! 8)

I just found that the smoke point of both duck and chicken fat is 375º

I'm guessing that if one kept the cook at 365º the oil could still be ok even down low in the charcoal basket..

But the best solution might be a tube that goes out the Guru inducer tube and drains into a container..

Is that worth thinking about?

Hey folks - new to the forum and expecting my cooker next week, but have always been a big fan of duck. I grew up in Toronto, Canada which has one of the biggest Chinese populations outside of China and absolutely love Chinese BBQ Duck. I have spent many hours and wasted many ducks trying to get the same flavor as the ones that are hanging by the neck in the window of the many Chinese BBQ restaurants all over Toronto. I now live in Texas and every time I go back to Toronto, the first thing I do is go to my favorite BBQ place and buy a duck (and devour it in front of my parents without giving them any) I really have no idea how they cook them. It looks like they are hung by the neck and roasted very slowly. For Dennis, have you thought of designing some sort of rack which allows one to suspend a duck (or chicken or pork roast etc) from the highest possible point insice the cooker, of course removing the grills. If there is anyone out there who knows the traditional Chinese method of making Duck BBQ, please chime in.

Re: Roti Duck -the hot oil is of course already at fat melti

I don't see how hanging it vertically would get better results than turning it in a roti cradle..

In fact, I really believe that the hot oil from the melted fat running over and self basting the skin will in turn melt more fat because the hot oil is of course already at fat melting temps..

:?