LarryR

Grilling/Smoking Lite

I knew this day was coming and I've been putting it off for far to long. It's time to diet, I've been eating so well the past couple of years that I've gained 80 lbs, not good, not good at all. So this week I started counting calories and hitting the gym. My daily goal is 1,400 calories and burning 1,000 calories a day by exercising.

With the exception of a upcoming baby shower, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years (and a cheat day here or there) I'm going to be grilling healthier. In addition to chicken, fish and lean pork anyone have any recommendations on healthy KK cooking?

Re: Grilling/Smoking Lite

i grill lots of vegetables, and often have my grilled meats over a salad.

Eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash are all excellent on the grill. I just did THIS TURKEY RECIPE on the grill and it made some excellent sliced meat for sandwiches or salads.

we all have to make some sort of sacrifice to be a little healthier, right? Thats why my fatty last week was made with ground chicken instead of pork :D

Don't do a crash diet. If it took two years to put it on, then take two years to take it off. Eat healthy foods, cut potions down, and limit your alcohol intake. And for God's sake, don't use any California medicinal herbs while cooking!

Don't do a crash diet. If it took two years to put it on' date=' then take two years to take it off. Eat healthy foods, cut potions down, and limit your alcohol intake. And for God's sake, don't use any California medicinal herbs while cooking![/quote']

I was thinking about that just last night...

If I didn't drink 8 beers through the course of a cook, I bet I could eat a bunch more of the resulting BBQ!

...but then decided I probably wouldnt enjoy the cook or the BBQ as much :D

Don't do a crash diet. If it took two years to put it on' date=' then take two years to take it off. Eat healthy foods, cut potions down, and limit your alcohol intake. And for God's sake, don't use any California medicinal herbs while cooking![/quote']

Biggest issue for me is I'm extreme in everything I do, if I'm going to do something I go all the way. End of first week I've lost 5.6 lbs. I've cut my daily calorie intake down to about 1,400 and I'm working out a minimum of an hour a day 6 days a week. I'm using a tool on livestrong.com called MyPlate, it tracks your calories consumed and expended through exercise. It's great as the food database is quite extensive, I've yet to find a food that's not in it's database.

Increasing the workout intensity this week but I also have a baby shower and an after shower party that I'm hosting, there will be massive amount of adult beverages consumed and Q eaten so I'm going to have to be careful.

Re: the California medicinal herbs, can't do that anymore, this new stuff they're producing isn't enjoyable for me, puts me into a freaking coma, where's the fun in that :( Sticking with my beer, scotch and stogies.

Hey Larr, you might want to try what I do when I find that I have to push away from the table for awhile........ I don't change one single thing that I do except for one thing, I only eat half of what I used to. It may not be a sexy diet or something you can write a book about but it absolutely works and you can still have all the things you like.

I have maintained my weight within 20 pounds for the past 32 years however after buying a KOoker earlier this year, I exceeded my 20 lb. limit. Well, I am back in the saddle and planning my next cook without any major sacrifice other than smaller portions.

T Rex

I watch what I eat year round and I find the KK is an integral part in my healthy eating. Grilling anything is healthy and it tastes good. Just choose the correct protein, watch your portion size and you're all set.

Currently I am on a single 24hr fast per week and eat whatever I want the rest of the week HOWEVER I cannot exceed my maintenance calorie level which for me is 2700. So if I want to eat 2700 calories of donuts I can (but don't). The idea is with a single fast you reduce your calories by almost 3000/week and you aren't "dieting" all the time. I can eat what I want but in moderation and as long as I'm at or below maintenance calorie level.

Website is http://www.eatstopeat.com/lose-fat.html (no affiliation)

T rex is dead on. Serve up your normal plate, immediately put half of it to leftover storage and eat the other half. 100% effective. At the restaurant, ask for a to go container when you order your drinks. As soon as your food arrives, scrape half of it in to the to go container and eat the rest. The simplest, cheapest, and most effective weight loss strategy in the world. No calorie counting, no special foods or menus, no internet program, no food delivery subscription. Dead simple.