teddysurf

Rookie about to be called up

I'm scheduled to take delivery Tuesday of my new toy (to be known as Fat Man ... the similarity in shape is amazing!) and thought I'd join the forum and reap the benefits of your collective wisdom and experience. I've been lurking for several months learning. Now, I just need to figure out what to cook as I christen Fat Man. Recommendations for the first cook out of the gate?

Re: Rookie about to be called up

Pork butt or pork ribs are always a good 1st cook choice. You could also spatchcock a chicken.

All three of those are set'em up and let'em cook, no flipping or saucing, etc....

Welcome and remember.. no pictures = it never happened, so please post those pics.

Perhaps Little Boy is the 19.5" version! Indeed, these represent the Mother of all BBQs ... at least that's what I'm out to verify once I fire things up this weekend. You have to admit the my thumb (model of the original FatMan) has a shape similar to the KK. (I would have preferred a thumb that wasn't "BGE green" but you get what you can off the 'net).

Unpacked FatMan this evening and rolled him off the shipping crate (used the home-built ramp method with little difficulty). I'm off now to search the forum to understand how all the pieces fit together (ash screen, etc.) and how best to employ them. It's always fun to be at the bottom of a steep learning curve because the increase in knowledge is fast. Don't be surprised to get a bunch of rookie questions ... and thanks in advance for the help and support!

Well, I was referring to a KK Junior I hope he makes, but the 19.5 does look a little bit like Little Boy, doesn't it? I was at the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton last year, and remembered that when I was about 6, they hoisted me up on a Fat Man replica and took a picture of me. In those days, you could crawl all over and touch every exhibit they had there. They put me up on the wing of a MIG that my Dad took the surrender of. Now, you can't get near any of that stuff! It was cool to be a kid on an air base in those days, besides the museum, pretty much nothing was off limits to a curious kid. The pilots, officers and so on would let you see and go anywhere under their watchful eye. I'm sure that is NOT true today! Sigh...

You clearly had a wonderful experience at Wright-Pat. I went there as a kid of about 14 years old being hugely interested in flight, airplanes, and flying. I really enjoyed it but the personal connection you had is special. I'm sure going there today, or similar places, is very different. But then, there isn't much that is the same today as it was a while back ... sometimes that's for the better, sometimes not.

This brings back many memories. My sister worked at K-12. My father (1899-1950) was a purchasing agent for "Heavy Water" in addition to being involved with project security. One of my many memories is of visiting the first prefab city while it was being constructed. I still have the small lapel pin my father wore.

Thanks for the welcome. Today is the first day since taking deliver that I'm not at work, so I can get some photos in daylight. I'll take some pics and try to get them loaded sometime today or tomorrow. The maiden cook will be pork ribs tomorrow so I'll plan to share the evidence there as well!

I was struck by the similarity between the shape of the KK and the Fat Man device, the "ultimate" nature of both in their field, and the likelihood the the KK turns me into a fat(er) man! The avatar is a model of the Fat Man device taken from the web that I rotated to show the similarity in shape. Regrettably, the color was not of my choosing (of the bomb, not my KK) so it's a little BGE-ish.

Cook_Shack, that's some real history you're talking about. It's hard to imagine the times your father lived and worked through and the contributions he and your sister made to our security. I'm sorry to learn that your father died such a young man. Was the lapel pin your father wore somehow associated with his work on the Manhattan project? If so, it would be great if you could post a pic of it.

Was the lapel pin your father wore somehow associated with his work on the Manhattan project? If so' date=' it would be great if you could post a pic of it.[/quote']

I am not sure why he wore the pin. At one time replicas were sold at the museum. I don't know if they still are. Will work on picture.

First cook was Sunday when I made ribs. Honestly, I'd have to score myself in the 7 range on the 1-10 scale. I made several rookie mistakes. First, I think I was overly concerned with keeping the temperature from getting too high and having to fight to try and lower the temp to the "low and slow" range. As a result, it took me a while to get above about 170 and into the 230 range I was shooting for. Second, while cooking indirect I managed to forget to put in a drip pan, which made the patio my drip pan. While the dog greatly appreciated this (and later, the raccoons) neither my wife nor considered it my shining moment.

Despite the above these were BY FAR the best ribs I've made. The smoke flavor was fantastic (thanks for the smoke-pot tip ... not the cook, the cast-iron-with-holes-drilled-in-the-bottom gizzmo) and the ribs were amazingly tender. I made the raspberry-chipotle sauce

viewtopic.php?t=75&highlight=raspberry+chipotle

and that recipe is now bronzed and in the permanent file. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend you do.

I'm sorry to report that I got swept up in the moment, and with the 13yo daughter lamenting that she was hungry and tired of waiting I forgot to break out the camera. No photos this time ... I'll try to do better on the next cook.

I'm sorry to report that I got swept up in the moment' date=' and with the 13yo daughter lamenting that she was hungry and tired of waiting I forgot to break out the camera. No photos this time ... I'll try to do better on the next cook.[/quote']

Another rookie mistake. No pics? Didn't happen. You imagined the whole thing. Too bad, too, cause they could have been great ribs! :happy8: