bbqPete

BBQGuru New Product

Re: BBQGuru New Product

The BBQ Guru folks just released the new PartyQ. The company claims the unit can run 25hrs+ with the fan at 40% on 4 AA batteries. No power adapter needed and a built in 5CFM fan! I can see the appeal of this.

party-q__48245_zoom.jpg

Its a nice addition to the BBQ Guru lineup but quite honestly, I hope this is just the first in a series of new products being rolled out. I'm hoping they release one that can be controlled via wifi, similar with what Rock's will do. Like the OP, I've heard a few hints from the Guru folks that something like this is in the pipeline. Nothing definitive, however. I'm wondering if the PartQ was their definition of wireless.

It looks like it doesn't have a cooking probe' date=' just the pit sensor. Kinda surprised![/quote']I think this an update/replacement for the NanQ line. Its an all in one unit, not unlike the iQue 110. These are entry level pit control thermostats so the feature set is pretty basic.

I really hope the Guru folks update their higher end units soon as well.

These are entry level pit control thermostats so the feature set is pretty basic.

(drum roll...)

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Yes' date=' the PartyQ is a pit temperature only controller, but it works like a gem.[/quote']

Yep, I gave away my feature-rich Guru, so I could buy the one that looked like an oven dial.

I want to set the pit temperature. Period. I know how to cook, and I'm not looking for a device that tells me what to say when in my marriage.

Yes' date=' the PartyQ is a pit temperature only controller, but it works like a gem. No cables, no batteries. [/quote']Its my understanding the PartyQ runs off 4 AA batteries.

A good unit no doubt. The ability of the Stoker to be controlled via network(wifi coming) is very appealing to a gadget head like myself. I'm hoping the Guru folks keep up with the Joneses.

A good unit no doubt. The ability of the Stoker to be controlled via network(wifi coming) is very appealing to a gadget head like myself. I'm hoping the Guru folks keep up with the Joneses.

According to the Stoker website the WiFi capable version has been delayed, now projected January 2012. I've been holding out for the WiFi version ... it's a race now between the WiFi-capable Stoker and the new sexy plug that Dennis previewed recently and is in production. I hope they tie!

According to the Stoker website the WiFi capable version has been delayed' date=' now projected January 2012. I've been holding out for the WiFi version ...[/quote']You can buy Stoker Black Box, the unit with the WiFi radio, right now for a bit of a discount. The WiFi functionality will be enabled by a firmware update scheduled for January 2012 released. However the firmware update has already been delayed once so who knows. It seems a bit odd to me that Rock's would sell a product with its primary new feature in a non-functioning state.

Gnomatic' date=' I meant to say no "car batteries". The unit will fit into a large pocket. Instead of having a box full of fans, power cords, probes, etc. you can just keep this in a kitchen drawer and pull it out when you need it. I loved it.[/quote']The PartyQ would be great for tailgating etc. Any chance we can look forward to a review? ;)

According to the Stoker website the WiFi capable version has been delayed' date=' now projected January 2012. I've been holding out for the WiFi version ...[/quote']
You can buy Stoker Black Box' date=' the unit with the WiFi radio, right now for a bit of a discount. The WiFi functionality will be enabled by a firmware update scheduled for January 2012 released. However the firmware update has already been delayed once so who knows. It seems a bit odd to me that Rock's would sell a product with its primary new feature in a non-functioning state.[/quote']

Agreed ... so I've decided to risk a slight price difference for more confidence that the bugs are worked out.

I forgot to close the sliding door on my Guru blower and melted the fan's blades almost a year ago.. I could easily get a new computer fan but I don't feel the need.. I use my guru as a quality cabled thermometer only. I understand why other grills need controllers but KK's just don't have any with temp stability.

What I really want is a reasonably priced wifi unit for just to monitor meat and grill temp.. with a proper thermocouple and industrial grade armored/braided cables.

teddysurf, it appears that Rock's BBQ is switching from the non-wifi to the wifi model. If that's the case, then they probably have stopped manufacturing the non-wifi hardware and have nothing else to sell right now but the wifi hardware. Selling the wifi hardware with the promise of a future firmware update to enable the wifi makes more sense that not selling at all, or perhaps trying to juggle between making the non-wifi hardware and wifi hardware simultaneously now until the firmware update is available.

teddysurf' date=' it appears that Rock's BBQ is switching from the non-wifi to the wifi model. If that's the case, then they probably have stopped manufacturing the non-wifi hardware and have nothing else to sell right now but the wifi hardware. Selling the wifi hardware with the promise of a future firmware update to enable the wifi makes more sense that not selling at all, or perhaps trying to juggle between making the non-wifi hardware and wifi hardware simultaneously now until the firmware update is available.[/quote']

That certainly makes sense and your likely correct. This additional delay in the firmware update makes it even more likely that any backlog of non-WiFi units are long gone and their inventory is comprised of WiFi versions sans software.

That certainly makes sense and your likely correct. This additional delay in the firmware update makes it even more likely that any backlog of non-WiFi units are long gone and their inventory is comprised of WiFi versions sans software.

Probably true.

It seems developing reliable firmware for the device is proving more difficult than Rock's initially anticipated. I won't give the Stoker serious consideration until I'm confident the bugs have been worked out.

The BBQ Guru's new product they've been alluding to is finally here, the CyberQ Wifi

[bBvideo 425,350:wmdx8uhh]

[/bBvideo:wmdx8uhh]

cyberqhomepage1.gif

Seems pretty cool, I had been waiting for them to release something to compete with the newer Stoker features. Here's my take at first glance:

Pros

• Controllable by wifi[/*:m:wmdx8uhh]

• 3 food probes[/*:m:wmdx8uhh]

• Guru ramp mode functionality[/*:m:wmdx8uhh]

Cons
  • 802.11b??? Why not N, much better range with that[/*:m:wmdx8uhh]

• Only 1 pit fan control, a downgrade from the CyberQ II[/*:m:wmdx8uhh]

• ~$400 for a setup. Not to surprising, comparable to Rock's. However, a Stoker system can be expanded upon to control multiple cookers, while the new Guru cannot.[/*:m:wmdx8uhh]