slicer

Smoked Pork Belly Peppered Bacon

Re: Smoked Pork Belly Peppered Bacon

I have, and I'm sure others have as well. The main goal is keeping the temp low (I shoot for 200f for 4 hours, then ramp up to 250 to get to 145 internal) while smoking. Build a small fire. There are lots of options for wet and dry brining. You can even go lower with the temp - 150f and 200 to finish if you can build the fire that small - not easy.

Pork Belly is the rage in Asia right now... Every restaurant I go to seems to have it in some shape or form. However, what I had the other night that was very interesting was a maple glazed bacon, served as a side dish. It was an Aussie chef at a boutique steak house. It is hard to explain, but imagine maybe 6-8 slices (two fingers wide) of bacon, I'm guessing they were tied together prior to cooking, and when cooked, the slices "gelled" enough to (again I'm guessing) remove the string for serving -- creating one unified slab. It was served not as a stack, but on the long edges of the slices. Again I'm guessing, but I'd say it was smoked in a stovetop smoker (or already smoked bacon), then baked, then given a quick flash on their grill to give a little caramelization to the maple glaze. It was one of the best sides I've ever had with anything. It went great with the ribeye, asparagus, mashed, etc. I would go back just for that dish.

I'm going to try my own version in the KK. If anyone knows exactly what I'm talking about here, or has a recipe, please send it my way.

I've had maple syrup glazed bacon - killer! Cook the bacon (however you like to cook your bacon) until almost crisp. Degrease with paper towels. Dunk the bacon in real maple syrup. Place on a wire rack on a sheet pan. Place in a 350F preheated oven until crispy and the syrup has carmelized. AWESOME!

A variation is to take your peppermill on medium grind and sprinkle black pepper on the maple syrup coating before going into the oven. Another WINNER!

First step to homemade bacon:  While in Santa Cruz today I picked up a Devil's Gulch Ranch pasture raised 8# whole pork belly today.  

Second step:  Decide on a cure rub.  

More photos to follow as the process works its way to bacon ;)

post-1238-0-25384400-1405895791_thumb.jp

On my "to do" list. Problem is, my local butcher at the farmers' market has excellent no-nitrate bacon made from heritage pork, so I just keep loading up the freezer (they're 2.5 lb packs). But, he does sell the bellies from those piggies, too! So, I might have to give it a go. Have made my own corned beef and pastrami, so this one's a no-brainer!

Tony,

How can it be "bacon" if it is nitrate/nitrite free?   FWIW I'm actually going to do an abbreviated salt/sugar/spice cure on mine (24-hours)...sans any nitrate salts/celery juice powder...as I prefer the flavor of this "unbacon" method.  Then smoke it as I would "bacon".

If it looks like bacon, smells like bacon, and tastes like bacon - I call it bacon!

Yeah, the "no nitrate" thing is kind of a myth, since most folks use celery juice (i.e., "natural seasonings") to claim there's no pink salt in it. But it's super tasty bacon, which is the main reason that I buy it!

I recently was able to stabilize a beef jerky smoke at 118º manually using a log of my coco char and a sheet of stainless with a hole for the log. 

This could easily be duplicated with aluminum foil..  I'll download the photos and post.

I'm traveling with the family leaving Bangkok tomorrow for Mandalay Mynamar to take a boat trip down the Irrawaddy river to Bagan.  

10,000 pagodas and stupas in that area..