mguerra

Freebie

Dennis sent me a freebie, unannounced.

I found a box of KK charcoal and a box of coffee wood sitting on my porch a few minutes ago!!!

Thanks, bro.

No other company I buy products from ever sent me such a lagniappe.

Those of you wondering about the quality of the product, or paying sight unseen, and so on...

Don't worry about it.

Re: Freebie

It's coffee wood - I have some and cant wait to try it out.

This stuff is extra dry, by weight, the shipping slip said 11#, but its a good sized box. Sorry for the lighting - LED bulbs in the lights and an iPhone camera.

photo1.JPG[/attachment:32add7w6]

Im going to give it a try tomorrow - any suggestions?

Throw a big chunk on the hottest part of the coals.. let it catch on fire and get hot.. close your lid. It's a big chunk so it will create lots of smoke.. this first smoke is grey, acrid and nasty..(all wood's primary smoke is like this;-)

Open every 5 minutes or so to vent the grey nasty smoke until it just starts to clear, turn translucent and a bit blue. This is the secondary "home run" smoke..

Put you meat in and leave it with low airflow and a low temp for the first bit of your cooks to better saturate you meat..

Since I'm only targeting the meat with the secondary smoke you can and need to use these big chunks..

I love, love, love this coffee flavor profile..

Using only the secondary smoke you can't over smoke things with this wood..

This is why the big BBQ joints burn wood down and then add the burning charcoal to their smokers rather than to use charcoal and smoking wood... more of this secondary smoke.

My goal is to carbonize only to loose the primary nasties and leave as much of this secondary smoke/volatiles in my coffee wood charcoal..

;);)