ThreeDJ16

Dirty Rice

Dirty Rice:

1/2 cup chicken livers (diced)

1/2 to 1 lb spicy ground sausage

1 cup onion, celery, chilies (all finely diced even amounts - chilies to your preference, I use jalapeno and cayenne)

2 Tbsp flour

2 Tbsp olive oil

1 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp red pepper

1 tsp black pepper

2 tsp salt

3 cups cooked rice

Brown sausage and liver in skillet with olive oil, mix in vegetables, flour and season then cook till desired tenderness adding in water as necessary. Mix in a bowl with rice.

WOOHHOO! Just found out my andouille from Jacob's (http://www.cajunsausage.com/) comes in today! I might make the dirty rice or a jambalaya up today now! I cannot wait to try this sausage as the stuff we get around here is not that great.

-=Jasen=-

Oh yeah, please try the recipe once with the liver. Trust me, it is not strong, but it does give it a unique flavor that will be missed. My wife would not touch a chicken liver, but she begs me to make this rice (I am the only cook in my house - hehe).

Re: Question...

Not being one to traffic in livers.... can you buy them, or are these scavenged from several chickens over time?

:?:

Hehehehehe, man that is a new one - hehe. You can find them in your poultry section of the grocery store. Some stores will have them frozen somewhere too. Just ask anyone in the meat department and they can point you in the right direction.

-=Jasen=-

The original recipe I modified called for gizzards too. I eat them, but it is just wrong having something chewy in rice so I cut them from the recipe.

-=Jasen=-

Me and my daughter caught 12 lizards the other day around the back porch. That's a record for us, we caught 20 frogs one day and 2 turtles one day. Oh...gizzards...nevermind. :oops:

nah, you're ruined... everybody's got something like that. something that they just can't stomach. mines calves liver. ech. just internal organs in general, really. too many good things in the world to eat, imo.

'course, chicken livers are pretty good...

ever done rumaki? chicken liver and waterchestnut wrapped in bacon. good off the grill!

I don't think I'd ever be able to eat beef tongue. Saw somebody cooking one up on a cooking show one time. There was just this huge cow's tongue laying there on the cutting board. Every now and then, she'd slap it when she said something or other about an ingredient. The taste buds were just staring at me saying, "Come on, let's taste each other", or something wild like that.

Much rather eat something that couldn't taste me back, livers are fine in rice and one or two fried chicken livers, but never in my life have I ordered beef liver as an auntrey (how you spell that word?). Never needed that much iron in my diet...or whatever it's supposed to be so full of :shock:

But I will be trying this dirty rice out. Thanks DJ.

Oh come on, ya bunch of wussies - hehe. :P Nothing like the smell of chitlins cooking - hehe. Just kidding, I am with you'll on this mostly. I am not about to eat freakn mountain oysters, tripe or anything too odd. But I do like chicken gizzards, livers and hearts - Mmmm. You take fried liver and dip them in tatar sauce - OMG that is good.

But anyway, try the recipe either way.

-=Jasen=-

Hey now...

Make fun all you want, but I am a man of action:

img6277pi9.jpg

So here are my substitutions... I used 1 tsp chili powder instead of 1/2tsp red pepper... :shock: and.... that's about it. Had to use some cherry and thai peppers because that's all they had at the store...

I even included the chicken livers somehow, though I have no recollection of purchasing this item. :wink:

Sautee'd all those goodies together... and mixed in the rice... voila!

img6281ax1.jpg

Absolutely delicious-- spicy and sweet and DIRTY. Good stuff, man. Thanks!

:P

The rice...

...is some Himalayan Basatmi... comes in a big burlap bag at BJs. Good stuff.

The dirty rice really was a hit. I was talking about making this stuff and my wife was saying sure, ok... and then she says "What is THIS? EW. You're not going to put THAT in the dish are you? (the livers...)" So I had to explain how I was told it was necessary yadda yadda. "Can't you make two dishes, one with and one without?" No no... so anyway... got it made and she LOVED it. So it's all good. Thanks!

:D

Re: The rice...

...is some Himalayan Basatmi... comes in a big burlap bag at BJs. Good stuff.

The dirty rice really was a hit. I was talking about making this stuff and my wife was saying sure, ok... and then she says "What is THIS? EW. You're not going to put THAT in the dish are you? (the livers...)" So I had to explain how I was told it was necessary yadda yadda. "Can't you make two dishes, one with and one without?" No no... so anyway... got it made and she LOVED it. So it's all good. Thanks!

:D

Man, that is so funny and so familiar - hehe. Sometimes, I just kick the wife out of my kitchen so I can get on with the cooking (she hardly boils water). :shock:

A lot of dishes I make can have that "Ew" factor to it if you watch from beginning to end. Take for instance my red beans, I make my own stock by taking all the stuff I am going to use and trimming it the day before. All the good stuff goes in a zip lock for the next day; all the items you would toss (vegetable tops and bottoms, meat trimming, shrimp heads if you got them - whatever) goes in a big pot of water to make stock (strained off). Then my beans soak up that stock verses plain water. Sure you can just buy stock, but it is much better making it yourself. Now days, when it comes to the kitchen, the wife does not question one bit on what I put in a pot. If she could just be that way about everything - hehe :roll: !

But I am glad the dish turned out good for you. I was going to make something with that Andouille tonight, but remembered I had already bought everything for schnitzel. So I ended up making rahmschnitzel (mushroom cream sauce) and gerkin salad - Mmmm. No time to take pics of that - very quick dish to cook and eat - if you took time for pics it would be cold. :mrgreen:

-=Jasen=-